Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CANNOT FIND BIRTH OR MARRIAGE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacky

Jacky Report 14 May 2004 15:10

I have a birth certificate which shows the mother's maiden name and the fact the father was deceased - mother registered the birth as a married women. I can find no record on 1837, Roots Web, Ancestry of Latter Day Saints of mother's birth or parents marriage. Mother not on 1901 census either - her son was born in 1918. Any suggestions where I could look next? Thanks Jacky

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 May 2004 15:20

What about looking for the father's death?War? Were there any other children in the GRO index with his surname and mother's maiden name, after 1911. Did you look for her in 1901 under both names? Was she too young to be on it though? We have found children registered by a mother in her 'married' name when no marriage took place. This would be easy to cover up in wartime,- no offence intended. You may have to take a wider view of the situation in order to get the information you require.

Heather

Heather Report 14 May 2004 15:24

Did the son marry? and if so, was the father's name on the marriage certificate the same as on the birth certificate? Can you find a later marriage for the mum? Was the son born in a village, small town or city??? Sorry, so many questions!!! Heather

David

David Report 14 May 2004 15:47

When searching for the marrage certificate do not be fooled into thinking " I will start when she was 16 years old" As before 1929 girls could get married at the age of 12 some 4 years earlier. For boys they had to be 14 years old.

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 May 2004 16:05

I have a very similar problem. I have the marriage certificate of my GG Grandparents, but now cannot find their birth certificates. Bristol and Weston Super Mare Register Offices have searched for me, and found similar names as my GG Grandfather, but the father's name does not match the marriage certificate. Any advice please. M.

Heather

Heather Report 14 May 2004 16:17

Hi Morfydd When were they born? It wasn't compulsary to register births until about 1875. Have you found them on census records? Heather

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 May 2004 16:30

Hi Heather, I have them on the census records, married with LOTS of children, I have their marriage certificate, married in St. Lukes, Bedminster in 1875 and I know that the lady died in Glamorgan in 1917. James Durbin was born 1855/56 in Bedminster (so the census info states) Emma Bassell was born 1857/58 in Pill, Somerset (again from census). On their marriage certificate, he was 19 and she was 18. M.

Heather

Heather Report 14 May 2004 17:07

Hi Morfydd Was the place of birth the same on each census? Three of our grandmothers gave slightly different answers in 1901 to what they'd given in 1881. Just wondering if yours were registered elsewhere or have you checked 1837? Heather

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 May 2004 17:33

Heather, On the 1881, 1891 and 1901 James place of birth was Bedminster. Emma was Pill on 1881 and 1901 and Bedminster on 1891. M.

Heather

Heather Report 14 May 2004 18:03

Hi Morfydd Have you checked 1837? Perhaps there was an error with the spelling of the original entry? I hope you will be able to find them on an earlier census with their parents. Heather

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 May 2004 18:08

No haven't got access to that yet. I will have to try to look at the GRO index and see if I can find them. M.

Heather

Heather Report 14 May 2004 18:23

Morfydd, It occurs to me that if their mums weren't local they might have returned to their parent's home to have their babies and they might be in a different registration area???? I'm full of daft ideas! Heather