Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Sailor went to sea...maybe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 14 May 2004 11:24

Hello. I have been trying to find an ancestor on the 1871 and 1881 censuses without success. I have him on the 1891 and 1901 censuses where he is a tea dealer. Because of this and his family living in the London Docklands, I wondered if he might have been abroad in earlier years. Now my Mum's just told me of someone in that line who was a 'sea captain'. It could be him. Does anyone know how to find out info on naval or merchant ships in th 19th century? Thanks Helen

Jane

Jane Report 14 May 2004 11:44

Helen, Have a look at the Public Record Office online catalogue - PROCAT - you access it from their main site. They also have a load of information leaflets online about tracing seafaring ancestors. The Merchant Navy is treated rather differently and, last time I was there, they had a special (paper) leaflet with all the file references on for this. Whilst in PROCAT, it's worth putting your ancestor's surname into the search box - you might get lucky and find that his records are listed separately rather than in one of the alphabetic 'bands'. (If his name is SMITH, well, you might have to dig deeper!) Good luck - keep in touch if you wish, I'm no expert but I might be able to help. Regs Jane PS: The PRO also holds "Ships' Logs" for various vessels - they are brief, but can add some background to your research. But you do have to know which ship your man was on in order to do this!

Carole

Carole Report 14 May 2004 14:33

A museum opened in the Docklands last year, I don't know if they would have any information that could help you, but they might be able to point you in the right direction. Their website is at http://www.museumindocklands(.)org(.)uk/ and they have an email link, which won't print here, no matter how many brackets I put in! If they have any documents you are interested in, let me know - I only work down the road and can pop in for you.

Helen

Helen Report 15 May 2004 19:26

Thanks. I've had a quick look at both these sites and will have to give them a thorough look through when my little lad's not clammering to get on the computer. I'm looking for an Anderson, and I know one of his brothers was at sea for the 1871 census - it was against his wife's occupation. Thanks again Helen