Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help how do I find grandfather in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 13 May 2004 21:50

I only have his name Hugh Nicol no Birth date but I think it would have been about 1920/21 when he died, my mother was born in Aberdeen in 1902

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 13 May 2004 21:56

Vonnie, Scotlands People is a brilliant site and it costs £6 for 30 credits which gives you a lot of information. If you have an idea of where he was born and roughly what age he was when he died you could search on that. You can also search deaths up to about 1954 I think it is. Good luck Pam

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 13 May 2004 21:58

Thanks Pam I will try that but I don't know how old he was when he died

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 13 May 2004 22:04

Nicol is a name I know but I don't think you'll have too much trouble tracking him down as i don't think its all that common, not like my Thomsons, Smiths and MacRaes! You can just put in quite a broad date range and if it returns too many try again. Pam P.S. I think you need to wait a little while for your message to be added and don't keep pressing "add message". GC is running a bit slow these last couple of days. Lol!

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 13 May 2004 22:10

Thanks again Pam . It is runnung a bit slow isn't it but I didn't realise I would get 4 copies of my reply however I have deleted 3 of them LOL

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 13 May 2004 23:30

The GROS site is very good - I think the link is amongst the GC resources, but, just in case... http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ Because the law is different in Scotland from that in England and Wales, you can get online images of the register pages. They aren't admissible for legal purposes but they're great for family tree research. I got lucky with some twins: there are three birth records per page and both the twins were on the same page so I only had to spend one credit to get them both. It has two major advantages over 1837Online and the 1901Census: "You will not lose your existing credits when your 48-hour session is expired; when you buy more credits they will simply be added to your existing credits." " You can access any of your previous searches and downloaded images, without charge, simply by logging in to the site. There is no time limit on how long you can keep these searches and images. You can also order copies of any of your previously viewed records at any time." good hunting Christine

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 14 May 2004 17:36

Hi Christine, Thank you for the information I must try it it sounds very helpful Kind regards Yvonne