Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

message for Judy in the States

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 13 May 2004 20:36

Judy. ref importing a gedcom file. I am sorry to say, I really am an old idiot. I have spent the last half hour trying to "export Tribal Pages to my P.C." You must get fed up with dunces like me but can you explain how I do this simple task?John

Judy

Judy Report 13 May 2004 21:40

John....I'm not familiar with the Tribal site (yet!) as I just uploaded my tree in order to assist you in a step by step to export your tree off of the site onto your computer. Unfortunately, the site is telling me I won't have access to my tree for at least an hour, up to 24 hours (an hour being the norm) so I won't have access to follow through on my end to assist you for a little while BUT I will as soon as the site allows. There was a short blurb on the site about exporting you family tree, perhaps it will help til I can follow through: You may backup and download your tree as a GEDCOM file and download it to your computer. Here's how: once you have logged into your website using your userid and password, select the "GEDCOM" menu item. Here you will see instructions on backing up and downloading your tree. Once you have downloaded your tree as a GEDCOM file you can upload it to TribalPages (or GC!) at any time and your tree will be restored from the information in the GEDCOM file. I'll check the Tribal site again shortly. Judy

Judy

Judy Report 13 May 2004 22:53

John....didn't forget you....still waiting on Tribal to allow me access! Judy :(

Judy

Judy Report 14 May 2004 07:17

John.....many hours later, I am still waiting for Tribal to allow me access. I will try again tomorrow. Judy

John

John Report 14 May 2004 11:30

thanks for all you are doing for me John

Judy

Judy Report 14 May 2004 13:14

Hi John! OK....here we go! I assume that you have your tree already on the Tribal site? 1. Go to the Tribal site, and sign on so that you are on your Home page. 2. Click on the SITE MAP link that's located on the left of your screen (next to the name of your tree.) 3. Click on the link EDIT WEB SITE. Here a box pops up requesting your password.....at least it does on my screen as my tree, at the moment, is password protected. 4. After you fill in your password another page appears. At the top, right of the screen is a link labeled GEDCOM. Click on it. 5. You'll now note the subheading "Backing Up Your Family Tree." In the first sentence it says: "The last backup of your Family took place on May 14 2004 You can download your saved tree." Click on the link in that sentence (YOUR SAVED TREE.) 6. A box appears titled FILE DOWNLOAD. At the bottom of this box click on the option SAVE. 7. Another box appears, this one titled SAVE AS. 8. You'll note at the top of this box it says SAVE IN and in the field next to it, it is showing you where on your computer this .ged will be downloaded to on your computer. ( If the field is not showing the place you want to file to go to on your computer, say you want it on your DESKTOP, and it shows in the field as going to your MY DOCUMENTS file; you can change where the file goes to by clicking on the "v" at the end of the SAVE IN box. Example, it looks like this now: SAVE IN: MY DOCUMENTS "v" (click on the "v" at the end of the field and a box appears allowing you to scroll your computer and choosing where you want the file to go.) 9. Once you've chosen where your .ged file will be downloaded to, look to the bottom of the screen, on the right, and click on SAVE. Voila! The .ged file is now on your computer and can now be IMPORTED on to the GC site. (Take note at the bottom of the screen, in the FILE NAME field, the name of file so you know what you are looking for once it's on your computer. You can rename the file anything you want once it's downloaded on your computer. Just find the .ged file, hold your mouse over it and RIGHT CLICK. A box appears and one of the chooses is RENAME. Click on it and you can then rename the file. Be sure when renaming the file that you name it so that it ends in .ged. Example: My tree downloaded as "Judy93.ged." When I renamed it, I renamed "Judy93A.ged....keeping the .ged as part of the name. This is necessary so that when you try to open it, your computer knows what type of program to use to open. Without the .ged, the computer won't recognise the file. If you forget to add the .ged after renaming the file it's no big deal.....just rename it again adding the .ged. With that said, in order for you to be able to read a .ged file on your computer, you must have a family tree program installed. There are several good, free ones on the internet....My favorite free one: Genopro which you can get at www(.)genopro(.)com - remove the ( ) from the address. There are many on GC that recommend the free program on the Latter Day Saint site which you can get at www(.)familysearch(.)org. I use both Genopro and Family Tree Maker 11.0 as they both have excellent, but different type reports they will generate for you. I hope the above is understandable....I do tend to babble on! Let me know how you make out.....if you need help uploading (importing) your file to GC, let me know. Have a great day! (8:15 AM in my part of the world!) Judy

Judy

Judy Report 14 May 2004 13:18

Ooops, an after thought! If I recall correctly, another member reminded me on another one of your threads, if you already have part of your tree on GC, in order to Import the .ged file from your computer to GC, you first have to remove what information you have on GC before adding the new information. Let me know if you need help with that. Judy :)