Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mental Asylum Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 12 May 2004 21:43

My great grandfather was in a mental hospital and I have his death certificate which gives his place of death as 'the hospital Coulsdon'. Does anyone know the name of this mental asylum and where I would be able to find its records? thank you for your help Lucia

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 12 May 2004 21:50

I've just looked on google and the hospital was called Cane Hill Mental Hospital. There are quite a few links from Google. Hope that helps Lucia bye Christine

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 12 May 2004 22:03

Thanks Christine, I will have a look, Lucia

Lady on Lynchmere Common

Lady on Lynchmere Common Report 12 May 2004 22:25

Lucia There was also one in Coulsdon called Netherne Hospital too. It's now a housing estate but I'm sure the local CMHT would be able to help with records. When I last went by Cane Hill was still open in some form, I think a day centre. Hope this helps Debs

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 13 May 2004 21:49

thanks Debs, What does CMHT mean? Lucia

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 May 2004 22:02

Lucia Cane Hill and Netherne were both lunatic asylums in that area - in fact the whole of Surrey is awash with them! I don't know what has happened to Cane Hill but Netherne is now a housing development. I think CMHT is Community Mental Health Team. I have just checked the A2A [Access to Archives] website. Records for Netherne and Cane Hill are at Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth road, Woking GU21 6ND. Tel: 01483 594594. e-mail shs@surreycc[.]gov[.]uk - don't forget to remove brackets. Some records relating to Cane Hill are also at the London metropolitan archives. Good luck Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 May 2004 16:15

The mental asylums were, of course, also included in the Censuses. Good hunting, Jim

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 17 May 2004 17:10

Thank you for the helpful information, Helen, Lucia

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 17 May 2004 17:14

Thanks for the tip, Jim, but I have to wait 17 years until the census comes out. thank you for your help, Lucia