Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mystery death address - ideas welcome

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 May 2004 18:26

I have just received death certs for a great-uncle Lemuel Gray and my great-grandmother Emma Garvie. Lemuel was brother to my grandfather Jeuel Jabez Gray, Emma was Jeuel's mother-in-law. Jeuel kept a picture framers at 165 Church Street, Stoke Newington [now called Stoke Newington Church Street]. Lemuel died of TB in 1822. The death cert. says death took place at 230 High Street. However, under occupation it says "Wellington Road, jobbing gardener" Does this mean that is where he worked? Emma's death cert also gives 230 High Street as place of death, and under occupation gives "936 Woodlea Road, Stoke Newington, widow of John Garvie, general contractors engine driver". So this can't be where she worked, can it? I understood that she looked after my father while his mother Jeuel's wife, ran the shop. V. confused T

Emma

Emma Report 12 May 2004 18:37

Helen, I have similar addresses on my death certificates and take these to be places of work. As for Emma, her job was "wife of the late John Garvie" and presumably the address is either her and her husbands home address (before she was looking after your Father ) or possibly her husband's workplace. Emma.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 May 2004 18:43

Emma Thank you for your prompt response. I wondered, as Woodlea Rd is just round the corner from Stoke Newington Church st. I guess the family must have rented 230 High street and put in all the left-over rellies there wasn't any room for above the shop! I always say when you get a certificate it raises as many questions as it asks. I've certainly been busy with old medical terms this week! Helen

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 12 May 2004 18:45

Hiya - just a thought but would the address shown as the place of death be a hospital/workhouse/infirmary. The reason I ask is because my father's birth cert. states his place of birth as 770 Hucknall Road, Nottingham (number might not be totally correct, but you get my drift) Now I know he was born in a place which is now called Nottingham City Hospital, but was a TB Hospital (Bagthorpe) in earlier years - in fact that was where his mother died - same address shown on her death cert. - I think that perhaps the local registrars had their own agenda when it came to addresses for places of birth and death, and rather than put down so and so Workhouse, they put the official address. Just a thought! Jacqui

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 May 2004 19:01

Jacqui Thanks. it had also occurred to me that 230 High St might be a hospital,of sorts as Lemuel had tb and Emma had some ghastly medical condition and gangrene. I shall have to see what this place was listed as in a directory I suppose. Helen.