Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Age on 1891 Census??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 12 May 2004 18:13

I have an ancestor who was not on the 1881 census but appears on 1891 census, aged 11; her name is recorded as Lilly Masterson. I have searched all the fiches on 1837online from March 1880 to Dec 1881 and cannot find her. There are a couple of Elizabeths and her mother was called Elizabeth. Does anyone know if Lilly was used as a nickname for Eliabeth? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Lynne

Emma

Emma Report 12 May 2004 18:21

Lynne, According to all the "name" sites it's a name in its own right, however it could be short for Lilian/Lillian. Emma.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 May 2004 18:37

Apparently the Queen was called "Lillebet" in her childhood, so your Lily could be the same. Or possibly, Elspeth, Eleanor, Liane, Lilias, Lillith...

Brenda

Brenda Report 12 May 2004 18:52

could she have possibly been born in 1879

Lynne

Lynne Report 12 May 2004 19:25

Thanks Emma I knew Lillian was a possible but there are none recorded. Helen, I'll try the names you suggest. Brenda, Elizabeth had been previously married and had a son in 1869. Her first husband died in 1875 and she married James Masterson in September 1880. As Lilly does not appear on the 1881 census I didn't think she had already been born but I suppose there is always the possibility that she was in hospital. That still doesn't help with the name though as I have checked and none of the suggested names fit except possibly Elizabeth. Any suggestions from anyone as to how I can find out if she was in hospital? Thanks again Lynne

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 12 May 2004 19:52

Is it possible she was born before the second marriage, in 1880, and was registered under the previous name?

Lynne

Lynne Report 12 May 2004 22:44

Elisabeth M, If she was in the household at the time of the 1881 census then she would have been listed even if she was registered under the previous name. I can only assume she was either not yet born or in hospital but as I cannot find a birth record I'm totally stuck on this one. Anyone else got any suggestions. Thanks anyway Elisabeth. Lynne

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 12 May 2004 23:10

Don't take the census ages as being exact. I had a lot of census returns for various rellies and couldn't work out which returns I still needed. I did a chart for each family showing their ages on the census from 1871 to 1901. The ages given each time varied enormously - with the ladies being the biggest offenders. They've all knocked at least 5 years off their age at some point.