Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do I do next!?! Pls help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 11 May 2004 16:33

I've just started researching my late fathers family and I'm very new to all this stuff! I have got my father's birth certificate to obtain the names of my grandparents but what do I do now? How do I found out where they were born/married etc? Please help - I'm hopeless!

Heather

Heather Report 11 May 2004 16:40

I think you will probably need to search for your grandparent's marriage on the 1837 site. Do you have any idea of the date or place? Heather

Smiley

Smiley Report 11 May 2004 16:40

What years were your grandparents born Kerry? That would have a bearing on what sites would be more useful to you, there is far more info online pre 1900 , than there is post 1901. It may even be necessary to have their birth certificates too, this is where it can be a pricey hobby.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 May 2004 16:51

If you could tell us some dates, names etc, I'm sure someone would help to start you off. I would, but I'm just off to colour my hair. Will check back later - unless you would like to e-mail me. Chris

Kerry

Kerry Report 12 May 2004 14:17

THanks for the advice! I have no idea when my grandparents were born and no living relatives to ask! I am fairly sure that they married in Birmingham. My father was born in 1949 (middle child) and I remember both my grandparents dying in the late 1980's and being quite old. So I suppose they could have been born amytime between 1910ish to 1932ish? I have a vague recollection that either my grandfather (or his family) was originally from Roscommon, Eire but I'm fairly sure that my grandmother was brummy born. So where do I go now to find records of their births or marriage. Thank you! Kerry

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 May 2004 14:34

Hi Kerry, You could try Freebmd.rootsweb.com

Kerry

Kerry Report 12 May 2004 14:36

tried that - no record of a marriage between John Hunt and Ethel Merritt in Birmingham. But I'm not sure if I'm doing the search right it took me loads of goes before it would search without saying I was being too vague!

Smiley

Smiley Report 12 May 2004 16:07

It's not likely you'll get much from FreeBMD Kerry, the marriage wouldn't be transcribed yet, not if they married in the 40's, which seems likely. The latest birth on Ancestry for Ethel is 1905, I doubt it's her as she'd be too old to be having children in 1949 really. I think you'll have to buy credits for 1837 online and trawl through the years. If they died in the 80's then the death register will give you an exact DOB. Then you could find the births on 1837 too, that'll be much cheaper for you as you'll have the right year & hopefully not have to search too many pages. For grandparents people largely rely on family members to help out, you are at a distinct disadvantge here, with no one to ask. When you locate the births on 1837 you need the Vol & page No, then you could order their birth certs online, from GRO. Your great-grandparents will be on the 1891 & 1901 census hopefully, then you should be able to do more internet research. Ask away if & when you have more questions Happy to help Sam

Christine2

Christine2 Report 12 May 2004 16:46

Hi Kerry - Thought I would try and give you a start by looking for possible deaths from 1984 to 1990 in Birmingham. Found 1 Ethel Mary but before I type out the details, I suddenly realised, did they die in Birmingham or is that just where they probably got married? If they did, there are 5 John's. Chris

Kerry

Kerry Report 12 May 2004 16:56

Hi Chris, That sounds exciting - thank you so much! Yes they both died in Birmingham and my grandmother was Ethel Mary not sure about grandfathers middle name. But I remember he died about a year after my grandmother. Where did you find it? Kerry

Christine2

Christine2 Report 12 May 2004 17:01

Hi Kerry - I found it on 1837. Would you like me to go in and look at the 5 John's? Would it be easier if I e-mail you with the results? May be a couple of hours - I'm about to dish up dinner. Cheers Chris

Kerry

Kerry Report 12 May 2004 17:07

Thank you soo much Chris - it would be great if you could look up that info for me (if you don't mind and can spare the time). I'm still getting to grips with all the search engines and databases! I've got to dash off now but I'll be back tomorrow! Kerry

Sarah

Sarah Report 12 May 2004 18:08

for Samantha Please don't be offended but I just wanted to point out that my grandmother was born in 1905 but didn't marry until 1940, and adopted my mum 1948 - it's unusual yes, but after wrongly assuming the same as you it took me forever to track down the right dates. (I'm new to the game so making every mistake in the book just now!)

Smiley

Smiley Report 12 May 2004 20:43

Sarah, there are always exceptions, I was just trying to narrow it down a little and go for the average. My grandmother had 5 children but over a 20yr period, that's unusual too. It would be much more helpful if they were average wouldn't it :)

Christine2

Christine2 Report 12 May 2004 21:39

E-mail is winging it's way to you now. But I should take Donna up on her offer too - I am no expert. I do have a bit more information though that would be easier to send if you could send me an e-mail with you e-mail address. Cheers Chris

Kerry

Kerry Report 13 May 2004 09:34

Thanks everyone. I'm new to this site and I can't beleive how friendly and willing to help everyone is. Looks like I've got lots of work to do getting to grips with this family history stuff! Thought I'd start on the 'easy' side of the family before I started work on the grandad married 7 times, kids all over the place, grandmother had a 14yr old step daughter when she was only 16 side! Kerry