Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death registrations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 May 2004 21:48

I am so frustrated. I can't find the death of my ancestor Anne John from Sageston, Carew. I have searched from 1901 when she appeared on the census aged 59 until 1946 when she would have been 104, but there is no one of the right age listed, except for one in 1901 but the family know that she was alive long after that date! Can anyone make any suggestion as to why she might not be there? Thanks. ShirleyB

Anne

Anne Report 11 May 2004 13:39

I have not been able to find my g grandmother's death in 1892 anywhere. Fortunately she left a will so I know her exact date of death and she is definately not in the GRO register unless it was a completely different name! Have you thought of wills? The national probate calendars are available from 1858 onwards at any archive. If you find a reference you can send for the will. Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 May 2004 17:02

If you know where she is buried, there might be a parish register of burials available for you to consult. that's how I found out my gt grandad with v. common name died miles away from the village where he was buried and lived most of his life.

Deborah

Deborah Report 13 May 2004 01:22

Hi Shirley & Anne, I posted a message on the Records Board the other day, regarding a missing death entry. I am convinced it has been missed of the indexes, when they were made up. Never one to give up easily, I rang the relevant register office, and asked how much it would would cost to do a 10yr search of the original registers? Imagine my horror, when the lady informed me that this can't be done! Although the originals are in existence, albeit locked away for safe keeping, they cannot be searched - what's the point?! If your ancestors have really been missed off any of the indexes, they will stay forever lost!! (Shock-horror!) It would seem, your only hope is to narrow down the area & time, and search out a burial (in our cases). Makes you wonder how many of the births that are put down to 'not having been registered' have actually been done and then missed off those so important indexes! The lady at the register office confirmed that is 'not unheard of'! Debbie

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 13 May 2004 14:49

Hi, I also cannot find a death certificate for My G grandfather whose death I have narrowed down to 2 years between 1889-1891 had the loccal office do a a search but no luck, I know I can go no further back unles I find it because I want to check the age as I have conflicting ages on anthing I have found. I know ages did not sometimes match but the gaps i have are to big, will keep trying Margaret

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 13 May 2004 23:13

I'm in the process of having an argument on a message board for the Titanic.I keep on getting "If his names not listed he wasn't there"But there were loads whose names were misspelt,entered incorrectly and a few crew who jumped ship at Southampton or swapped with others.