Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Male or Female.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 10 May 2004 17:21

Can anyone tell me if Elisha is a male or female name please? Sue

Judith

Judith Report 10 May 2004 17:31

The Elisha in the Old Testament was male, I've found references to male Elishas in the 19th century (Elisha Gray was a male inventor) but in recent years I've taught a female Elisha and Elisha Cuthbert is an actress.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 10 May 2004 17:34

Thanks Judith, I was hoping for a female. Sue

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 10 May 2004 17:51

I had a friend at school called Elisha who was female.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 10 May 2004 17:57

Do you think Elisha would be a female name in 1851? Sue

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 10 May 2004 18:10

Sue no idea sorry this was in the 1980's. there are sites around that tell you all about names, nicknames and their meanings etc but am afraid i don't know the addy of any of them. P'haps someone else can help?? Shelli

Anna

Anna Report 10 May 2004 18:18

from www(.)behindthename(.)com ELISHA m Usage: Biblical Pronounced: ee-LIE-sha Means "God is help" in Hebrew. Elisha was a prophet in the Old Testament, the successor of Elijah I came across a couple in my tree,I thought they were mother and daughter when i saw the name as i had only came across it in the female form recently. But they were infact father and son. Anna

Emma

Emma Report 10 May 2004 18:39

Sue, There's definitely female Elisha's on the 1891 and 1871 census. Not many - but it looks as though it was used as a female name by some at least. Hope this helps, Emma.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 10 May 2004 19:00

Thanks everyone, I am almost certain my Elisha was a female, I will try and find a birth certificate for confirmation. Sue

Deborah

Deborah Report 10 May 2004 21:15

Hi Sue, Two Elisha's in my tree, both male. Debbie

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 10 May 2004 21:54

Deborah, Looks like I have found a brother, not a wife. Sue