Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another elusive Great Granddad!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 10 May 2004 12:53

Like Linda, I have a missing rellie in 1881. His name was Edwin Henry Butler and he was born in Leicester in September 1868. I can find his family living in Leicester - headed by his father Edward Henry - listed as Ed Henry Butler. Edward Henry was also born in Leicester, in 1831. I know that Edwin Henry was alive in 1881 - but can't find him anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas where a 12 year old boy might have got to? Thanks, Maggie

Stewart

Stewart Report 10 May 2004 12:58

I lost my great great grandad's brother on the 1881 census, although he was on the 1871 & 1891 census'. turns out he was in Scotland in 1881, working as a stableboy. he was a little older than 12, but's is it possible that your missing relative may be in Scotland or somewhere similar?

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 10 May 2004 13:12

Stewart, What a star you are!! Hadn't thought of that!! Edwin Henry did eventually marry Agnes Crawford Heatherill from Glasgow, whose family had a branch of their business in Leicester in 1881...... at least that gives me food for thought and a new line of enquiry!! Thanks, Maggie

Stewart

Stewart Report 10 May 2004 13:28

glad to help! it drove me mad for ages, until i discovered a scottish connection, and thought of looking for him in Scotland! stew

Linda

Linda Report 10 May 2004 13:44

thanks for that information, if mine was in the music hall he might also be in scotland Linda P