Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

19th Batalion Durham Light Infantry 1914 - 1918

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 9 May 2004 18:27

Dear all I have been researching my wifes great grand father William Richards, It is belived that he served with the Durham Light Infantry and died during WW1, I have found an entry that might be him on the CWG site as follows W.R. Richards 19th Batalion Durham Light Infantry, Service number 43609, age unknown. died 24th August 1917 My problem is that as only his initials are on the CWG site and no age is given, how can I find aditional information to confirm that this is or is not the ancestor that I am looking for? Any help with this problem would be recived with thanks Yours Chris

Sand

Sand Report 9 May 2004 19:21

Hi Chris, I was pleased to see a reference to the DLI on the message board. My Grandad was in the DLI and fought in WW1. I have photos of his unit and his medals. I'm not sure of his battalion, but the 19th rings a bell. They could have even known each other! The DLI has a fantastic museum in Durham city--they have a website, and I'm sure would be glad to help. I will check my records to see if I can find Granda's battalion--if it was the 19th, your wife's relative may be in the group photos!

Sand

Sand Report 10 May 2004 19:18

Chris, I checked with my Dad. Grandad was in the 9th Battalion of the DLI. I would be interested to know what info you can get. I will be going to the museum at the end of August for my own research. Let me know if I can look anything up for you.

Chris

Chris Report 11 May 2004 12:09

Hi all I posted a message on the Great War Forum as suggested and with in an hour, I had a reply that confirmed i have the right ancestor. Thanks to you both for your help Yours Chris

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 14 May 2004 18:45

Hi Chris Have you tried this site, remove brackets www.1914-1918(.)net put in Durham light Infantry and look for 19th and the follow links. Malcolm

Sand

Sand Report 15 May 2004 19:40

Hi Malcolm, That site was exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Better still the site can help me sort my Grandad's war medals and ribbons so that we can have them framed. Thank you very much for that!