Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where is Rotherham?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 9 May 2004 10:05

Sorry to sound a nurd,,,but is it North Yorkshire,,or West,,? I get confused with all this west riding business,,,,lol

Jo

Jo Report 9 May 2004 10:15

Hi Claire. I just went to the Rotherham FHS site http://www.rotherhamfhs.f9.co.uk/ and they have all sorts of links, and a map. You'll have to read some of the site, cos it looked to me like Rotherham was in the west, towards the North, so not a very conclusive answer Jo

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 May 2004 10:15

Neither lol It's South Yorks - honest Gaynor

Russell

Russell Report 9 May 2004 10:23

Rotherham was in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is adjacent to Sheffield, slightly to the north east. It still feels like a small town, although it sprawls over quite a large area.

Helen

Helen Report 9 May 2004 12:28

Don't want to confuse the issue but on Ancestry when I specified Rotherham with Yorkshire, I got nowhere. Took Yorkshire out of the county choice...and got loads of results for Rotherham in Derbyshire. Never heard that one before, but it is definitely the right place. Helen

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 9 May 2004 13:26

There is no South Riding of Yorkshire, never was. The meaning of riding is third. Rotherham is in the Tyckhill Wapontake of the West Riding of Yorkshire Best regards Dave

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 9 May 2004 17:23

aahh,,,,well,,,,now its all clear...