Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 site is it up to date?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 8 May 2004 19:54

I have just been on the 1837 site looking for a birth is this site up to date? i found the year and the quarter but there was part of the page missing just where i hoped my Frederick would be any idea's?

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 May 2004 20:05

Lita, I don't think it is. There is a recent thread somewhere else (not sure if it's on Tips or General) and lots of people have said that there are bits missing. Some of them can't even find their own children on there, even though they're sure they remember giving birth to them :))) When I was searching the other day, I'm pretty sure there was a page missing. I think all the records are transcribed by volunteers (but I could be wrong here) so it will eventually be complete. Probably some other more experienced GC'ers will be able to confirm this.

Judith

Judith Report 8 May 2004 20:13

1837online is the 'official' bmd site, the pages are filmed from the index books that you look up if you go to the FRC. Some entries may be wrong or missing because when the event was registered the officials mistranscribed them, some of the older books are difficult to read as they are hand written. If the page looks damaged on the image I should contact the GRO to ask if a better image exists, or perhaps call the register office in the district where the event was originally registered if you know that. Judith

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 8 May 2004 22:10

I was recently looking for somebody and I was sure there was a whole page missing. I emailed 1837 and they emailed back with the copy of the missing page! Also apologised. Thing is, I went back to have another look later and they still haven't added the missing page back in. Also I have had problems finding certain births which I know are there. One in particular I have his death cert so I know when his birth should be but it is not there. Also I have actually found births on FreeBMD which have not been listed on 1837. So there you are, best to use both sites but to be aware that there still could be gaps! Lorraine

Cherrese

Cherrese Report 17 May 2004 16:19

hi i am not listed on 1837 (born 1970) and have been waiting 2 weeks for a reply from them but still no answer, there is a thread on tips board with quite a few people saying their details are also not on there cherrese