Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deryn

Deryn Report 8 May 2004 18:46

Problem - Grandad - Joseph Fox b1879 - Granny - Florence Charlesworth b1885 - Married 1901 This info is from 1901 Census. I cant find her birth or either death. Is there a census I can look on before this to find who their parents were - or one after to see what children they had. I can't believe I am having such a problem with them!

Angela

Angela Report 8 May 2004 18:54

Hi Deryn The 1901 census is the last one available (there is a 100 year closure rule). The census for 1891 is available online to subscribers to ancestry(.)co.uk. I have a current subscription and tried looking for Florence Charlesworth - a few came up. Can you give any more identifying info - ie where she was born - and I'll try again. Otherwise the 1881 census is available in transcript via www.familysearch.org but I suspect this won't be much good to you as its a bit early. Angela

badger

badger Report 8 May 2004 18:56

you should go to your local library and look at the b,m,d gro filches ,all registered births marriage and deaths are on these lists,free to look at ,all you need is a couple of spare hours ,good luck .Denis.

Deryn

Deryn Report 8 May 2004 18:58

Thanks Angela, I have always know them both to be in Leeds Yorkshire. I don't know anything else! I find it amazing that Grandparents can be such a mystery......

Angela

Angela Report 8 May 2004 19:13

Hi again, The freebmd website shows that a Florence Charlesworth married a Joseph Fox in the Mar quarter of 1901 in Leeds. Volume number 9b, page number 462. If you want to check for yourself do a search on marriages for Florence Charlesworth at www.freebmd(.)org.uk. Probably worth double checking with either 1837online, the Family Records Centre, or the GRO index at a local library. But if correct, this is all the info you need to order a marriage certificate from ONS. The marriage cert will give names and occupations of fathers, and residence of bride and groom at time of marriage which should help you get further back. I will get back to you on possible relevant census entries for 1891 - they take a while to download on my pc. Angela

Angela

Angela Report 8 May 2004 19:27

1891 census entry for 38 Balaclava Rd, Nether Hallam, Sheffield, Yorks: Ellen Charlesworth, widow, 44, born ???Trosfindale, Yorks; James Ernest, son, 17, carter; Herbert Andrew,son, 13; Ada Emily, dau, 11; Florence Ellen, dau, 7; Alice Lucy, dau, 5; Beatrice Ann, dau, 2; Robert (surname Brown), nephew, 16, apprentice to silver trade. All apart from mother were born in Sheffield. Regards Angela

Deryn

Deryn Report 8 May 2004 19:38

Thanks everyone, especially you Angela. I have at least something to go on - will get marriage cert and go from there.

Angela

Angela Report 8 May 2004 19:48

Deryn No problem - was feeling bored this evening so happy to look! I would recommend again that you double check the reference on freebmd as it is a transcription and mistakes do creep in (I know, I'm one of its voluntary transcribers!). If you order from ONS online on the basis of it and it's wrong you will lose part of your fee. Then again, I sometimes take the risk just 'cos its easier. Happy too to attempt to send you the census image mentioned in my earlier posting as per my email if you wish - up to you. Or do further lookups on 1891 for this couple if/when you have father's names to help identify them. Feel free to get in touch. Angela

Christine2

Christine2 Report 8 May 2004 22:57

Have checked on 1837 for you and the 9b 462 in Leeds is correct.