Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it only my family?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 May 2004 18:02

I've just found more family members on a Canadian census. I've not figured out the percentage, but a HUGE number of my ancestors, both male and female, used their middle names. Have others found this to be true? I think it's rather strange that so many people did not use their first names.

Sue In Oz

Sue In Oz Report 7 May 2004 18:05

Hi Lisa,I've been searching for my grandfather on the Canadian census but with no luck so far. Never thought to try with his middle name,I will give it a go. Thanks Sue

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 May 2004 18:11

Sue: Do you know about http://automatedgenealogy(.)com/census/NationalSummary.jsp (1901 Census - partially transcribed) Good luck!

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 7 May 2004 18:31

My grandmother was one of six, all of whom used their middle names. Thankfully, my other branch was very unimaginative and only gave each child one name.

Irene

Irene Report 7 May 2004 19:59

My husband's father was Arthur Charles, we only knew him as Charles until he died. His grandmother Ethel was born Harriet Ethel, his g grandfather Arthur was born Ebenezer Arthur. That's not counting my family or the rest of his. Makes life interesting though. Irene

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 May 2004 20:45

Thank you Sally, Kathryn and Irene. I can understand calling a son by his middle name when he has the same first name as his father, but to have so many other people use their middle names I thought was strange. Thank you for letting me know about your families! By the way, on my dad's side, most of the first-born children have their parents' names -- really makes it fun when you have three generations of the same name!

Kim

Kim Report 7 May 2004 20:51

I have eight generations in a row where the females were called Elizabeth. I have one man whose mother daughter and three wives were called Mary and another whose wives were both called Louisa although one was a middle name. Must have been a confusing life! KIM

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 May 2004 17:54

Kim: And I thought MY family was hard to trace! :~)

Deryn

Deryn Report 8 May 2004 18:39

I am one of five b1960 and I am the only one that they have used my first name - all others are called by their second names - seems silly when they chose the order and then use the names the other way round! Nowt so queer as folk!!