Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Add your tips here for researching the 1700s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 7 May 2004 13:43

(see below)

Simon

Simon Report 7 May 2004 13:44

As I've now managed to get several branches of my tree back into the 'pre-1837 dark ages' I'd be interested in any hints, tips and advice other people have on researching back into the 18th century - particularly when parish records don't throw up the answer. I'm getting into the swing (whenever I can get PR films delivered to my LDS centre) of finding the baptism, working back from that date to find the parent's wedding, then working back from the 16-yrs previous point to find their subsequent baptisms etc. But, where do you go next if the record you want isn't in the register, if your relative wasn't baptised, or was non-conformist, or if you don't know where they were born etc ? These are just some possible areas for peoples' advice - other members might have other areas of difficulty - do feel free to add them. I realise that once you get beyond 1837 it becomes a bit of a treasure hunt, but it would be useful to know what some of the places on the treasure map are. Cheers Simon

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2004 16:08

Simon - the few references I have to relatives pre-1800 are all from IGI or transcriptions of parish records. I attended a talk recently which said that most people [though there are a lot of exceptions] travelled a maximum of 10 miles from the parish they were born in, so a good idea if they aren't in a parish is to move out in a radius taking in other parishes till you find them, not forgetting they may have moved into another county and therefore another record office. This isn't much use if like me your rellies have names like John Matthews or William Williams and all the women are Mary, Ann or Eliza! Then it's more needles and haystacks!

Mystified

Mystified Report 7 May 2004 20:11

Sometimes the BT's exist where parish registers have disappeared. However this usually means a trip to the actual archive office.