Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I know who I'm looking for

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 May 2004 10:19

Please can someone help me with this one. I am looking for my GGG grandfather, according to Ancestory.com there were 8 children born in the year I'm looking for all with his name in the district he came from. I have no idea of his parents' names, and cannot find details on Ancestory.com for his marriage in the 1860's. Does this mean that I'm at a dead end? I'm looking at Chorley in Lancashire.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2004 10:29

Margaret Do you know if he had any brothers or sisters and if so, their names? Also, if you list here all the info you do have, there are some real super sleuths on this site and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Gaynor

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 May 2004 10:39

I sympathise-i was in exactly the same boat looking for my Gt Grandmother.I had 8 possibles in each quarter! Do you have siblings details -you could tackle this sideways so to speak.If you have a wifes name you could start with nearest census datewise and work back to date of birth. Failing that how about posting details of his wifes family on GC?I searched for my GGMother with no luck for 25 years but within a week of putting her sisters name(i didnt even have a dob or place -and her name was Ethel Evans!)i had found relatives.D'ont know if this helps.Sometimes you just have to build up as much of a picture as you can until you find that missing bit. Best wishes Elaine. x

Judith

Judith Report 7 May 2004 14:29

Don't forget Ancestry's index of bmd is not yet complete. You may yet get his marriage if you are willing to wait, or you could pay to search the GRO index on 1837online or perhaps search it at the Family Records Centre in London, or at your local LDS centre. With a marriage cert you'd at least have father's name and occupation. Then if you order birth cert you can specify only birth(s) with matching father's details. Judith

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 May 2004 21:45

Thanks for all your advice, the LDS centre in Chorley seems the best bet. I'm down in Somerset, so didn't know there was one.