Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prision Records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 7 May 2004 10:18

Hi, im trying to trace someone that possibly has been in prision.... (within the last 70 years) Is there away of finding out when and where? Are prision records available? If there are what info would they contain? Anyone got any ideas?

zoe

zoe Report 7 May 2004 11:14

Hi Samantha, From reading these boards I don't think they keep records for years and years and the believe the 100 yr rule applies for the records they may keep. Best bet is to try local newspapers, which most local records offices keep on fiche, around the time you think they may have possibly gone to prison. Good luck with your searching zoë

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2004 16:12

I've just sent off for info about a great-granduncle of mine who was in Gloucester Gaol in 1862. I think it very unlikely you would get material made available to you for the last 70 years, but you could apply to the Prison governor who would know where the records end up, and how long before the info is released. As I believe they are Home Office documents, they probably end up at Kew.