Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I know this has probably been asked before......bu

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzy

Suzy Report 6 May 2004 23:04

...is there an internet site where I can look up records of births, marriages and deaths in Ireland?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 May 2004 23:10

Suzanne I don't know of one, but I'd really like to !! I'll be watching this thread with interest for any replies! Mandy x

Suzy

Suzy Report 6 May 2004 23:17

You and me both, Mandy. LOL

Mary

Mary Report 6 May 2004 23:47

Hi Suzanne, I do not know of one on the internet but your nearest LDS centre will have them on either fiche or film. Mary

Suzy

Suzy Report 6 May 2004 23:57

Thank you for your reply Mary, but won't the LDS centre only have records which are already on the LDS web-site?

Paul

Paul Report 7 May 2004 00:25

The simple answer, as in similar to 1837 is No; there isn't one. Many people wish there was. There are some records that have been entered on different sites by volunteers, but they are purely that - volunteer transcriptions. Those people have worked hard to put them there and credit must go to them. Your best option is to contact a FHC of the Latter Day Saints, they have films of the BMD indexes for Ireland and may be able to help. Registration on a par with England and Wales did not start in Ireland until 1864. Hope this helps. Paul

Mary

Mary Report 7 May 2004 00:26

The LDS web site does not have births, deaths and marriages, only the IGI which is far from complete. They have very few Catholic records on there. Mary

Paul

Paul Report 7 May 2004 00:33

One of the reasons they have few Catholic Records is/was the reticence of Parish Priests to open records to view, either through personal preference or by instruction from higher authority. It is changing, but unfortunately only relatively slowly. Paul

Suzy

Suzy Report 7 May 2004 13:19

Thank you all for your help and advice. I think I will try my local LDS Centre as a first step. Thanks again