Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Road Please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 3 May 2004 09:06

Hi Good Morning, I am looking for a Telford Road Walthamstow it does not appear on the map where would I find it ,it was there in 1901 census thank you Margaret

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 3 May 2004 10:36

Hi Margaret, Try old-maps(.)co(.)uk Good luck Kathy

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 3 May 2004 11:32

Hi Kathy thank you Margaret

Christina

Christina Report 3 May 2004 11:57

I have an old map book I have managed to find most old roads, are you sure you have the correct suburb? I have Telford Rd in N11;NW9;SE9;W10; Telford Way W3.

Tracey

Tracey Report 3 May 2004 12:04

Hi Margaret, Have you looked at www multimap com There are a few Telford Roads in the London area. Put the dots in as usual in the address. Tracey

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 3 May 2004 19:58

Hi Christina, as far as the 1901 census goes it says Telford Road Walthamstow in the parish of St. Michaels & All Angels it also says Essex and says South Western if this helps at all thank you Margaret

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 3 May 2004 21:31

Hi Margaret, greetings from Walthamstow! There is no Telford Road in Walthamstow now. The nearest one is N11 which is New Southgate - a good 5 miles away. Of course, like most of this area, there has been a huge amount of redevelopment particularly since WW2. Would advise you to try a phone call to the Vestry House Museum in Walthamstow E17, which holds the archives for the local area. Maz. XX

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 May 2004 21:35

O.K.This ones been bugging me all day.I used to live in Walthamstow and I've found it in A to Z of Victorian London.Unfortunately it is no longer in existence.If you go to www(.)streetmap(.)co(.)uk and type in Tenby Road you have its approxiamate location.In fact I think that this may be Telford Road.According to the A-Z Telford Road took a sharp bend to the north which is just after the end of Tenby road.Telford carried on and incorporated South street.My guess is it was probably bombed during the war and the street name was changed.I think that most of the houses there haven't been replaced.You could possibly check this out with Vestry House Museum www.lbwf.gov.uk/leisure/vestry/vest_info.stm Hope this helps. Janet

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 May 2004 21:47

Telford Road now incorporates Tenby Road and South Street.Found this out in Victorian A-ZWhere the two roads are now separated could have been a bomb as the area was fairly well damage during the war.for more info check the local museum,Vestry House www.lbwf.gov.uk/leisure/vestry/vest_info.stm Hope this info helps Janet

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 May 2004 21:58

O.K.So why did that first one say it timed out when it hadn't and why did the lens pop out of my glasses.Guess I'm not having a good day.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 4 May 2004 08:51

Hi Good Morning thank you all for your time Margaret

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 4 May 2004 19:00

Hi Janet and Maz, I can't seem to get in the web site you both mentioned Margaret