Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Decoder in Laymans terms?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 3 May 2004 02:31

What exactly does the decoder do? I have read a thread before but it was all too confusing? Could somebody simply explain it to me? Thanks Deb

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 May 2004 09:02

The decoder groups together people (with the same surname )who are on the same census page, information which you can't get without it (unless you pay). For instance, if you search for Shuttleworths in Accrington you will get a list of 72 names (which isn't very helpful). If you use the decoder on these results, you get 18 groups and 5 "singles". So Benjamin and Margaret were living with their son Richard.

Bob

Bob Report 3 May 2004 09:30

Big "thank you"s to Deb for asking the question, and to Geoff for answering it. I had already guessed at some linkages in the 1901, but I was only using the decoder to gather pages together, so I could look at 155 Coleman's in one file. It never occurred to me to sort by page number and gather families that way. Once again, Thank You !!

Marlene

Marlene Report 3 May 2004 09:39

Help...where do I get the decoder? Marlene

Karen

Karen Report 3 May 2004 09:48

Hi Marlene you will find it at www.censusdecoder(.)com remove brackets.

Marlene

Marlene Report 3 May 2004 10:10

Thanks Karen. GREAT! Marlene

Bob

Bob Report 3 May 2004 12:28

More questions: I have lots of Kennedys and Bensons living in Brinscall, Lancashire (they came there for the Cotton mills) and using the decoder, I have sorted them into likely families. But I am left with one group of 5 female Kennedys, ages 24,21,20,18,10 all with the same page ID. Would all the family be on one page, or could it overrun onto the next page ?. And would the next page have an ID number 1 more than this page, or is the ID number from some random-number generator ?? Thanks for any help, Bob

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 May 2004 12:33

I think I'm right in saying that families were not "carried over" to the next page on a census. I have viewed many original documents and very often there are several unused lines at the bottom of the page, due to the fact that the next family in that St/Rd were to big so they started a new page, hope that makes sense Bob. What were that occupations of your spare ladies? I have many gardeners, ladies maids, nurses, lodgers, boarders etc.... which means thay will be the only person in their household with that surname, this is where the decoder cannot help.

Bob

Bob Report 3 May 2004 12:41

Thanks Samantha, 3 of the 5 are .... cotton weavers !! the other two aren't saying ! Some kind of hostel or boarding house, maybe ?

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 May 2004 12:49

I'm afraid you DO get families spilling over from one page to the next and the decoder cannot help you too much there. You can sometimes get clues from the way the enumerator has written things down in my experience. If they have written "Bury Lancs" for several people they are not going to suddenly change to "Bury Lancashire" or "Lancs Bury" for the rest of the household. Regarding the Kennedy females, try them individually on "Advanced search" using "daughter" as the additional info. If they all show up as daughters then they are possibly sisters. If three show up as daughters and two don't, perhaps the odd two are nieces or inlaws. Don't give up without a fight!

Deborah

Deborah Report 4 May 2004 01:29

Thanks for the info Geoff. I shall now brave 1837 with the decoder!! Deb

Steven

Steven Report 4 May 2004 07:14

Deborah you use the decoder with the 1901 site not 1837. Steve.