Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help find a Scottish birth?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 1 May 2004 23:26

My great grandfather, Richard Mellon was illegitimate and didn't have a birth certificate, I am having trouble finding his birth. I have his marriage certificate, which has his father as Richard Mellon, but I don't trust this his mother's details are wrong. He was born about 1896, I think in Inverness. I found him on the Scottish 1901 census, which has his birthplace as England. The parish records on Scots Origins are only up to 1875. Where should I look to find his birth? thank you for your help Lucia

Jackie

Jackie Report 2 May 2004 07:43

hi lucia, try www(.) scotlandspeople(.)gov(.)uk this is a great site , it costs £6 for 30 credits which last for 48 hours . you can view images online . im sure you will find what you are looking for on there , good luck regards jackie.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 2 May 2004 19:00

Hi Jackie, unfortunately I have looked on that site and I haven't been able to find anything, as he didn't have a birth certificate and there are only old parish records. thank you for your help Lucia

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 2 May 2004 19:23

Hi Lucia I had some credits left on Scotlandspeople and thought I would have a look for you as the statutory birth register actually goes up to 1903 and not 1875. Unfortunately there were no matches for a Richard Mellon in Inverness or when they blank to search all parishes, so maybe the census was correct and he was born in England!! Hope that helps in your search!! Cheryl

Rachel

Rachel Report 2 May 2004 20:01

There is a Richard Mellon on FreeBMD, Births Sep 1894 Mellon Richard Newport M 11a 213 Don't know if he's yours though Rachel Sorry just checked again, and that Richard dies Q/E Jun 1895. Sorry.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 2 May 2004 21:10

Hi Cheryl, thanks for looking, but he didn't have a birth certificate, Do you know where there are parish records for Scotland after 1875? thank you very much for your help Lucia

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 2 May 2004 21:13

Hi Rachel, thank you for looking, I think that he was born in Scotland, but it didn't say that on the census to hide the fact he was illegitimate. thank you for your help Lucia

Seasons

Seasons Report 2 May 2004 21:23

Couldn't find husbands grandparents marriage in 1916 on scotlandspoeople even though had date and place of marriage. There are some omissions in scotlandspeople so check in the "what's in the data base" section where they say which years aren't in yet although our marriage was missing. I contacted the GRO and they found it. However if they have to search it costs £3 each year plus the certificate which makes it a bit pricey but is worth it if it opens up the research as it did in our case.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 2 May 2004 21:40

Hi Julie, thanks for the advice, but his birth wasn't registered. Do you know if there is anywhere I can find later parish records? thank you for your help Lucia

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 3 May 2004 22:48

Would his death cert. help you? They give age and name of parents. I find death certs and the census on scotspeople the most helpfull tools.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 3 May 2004 22:59

Thanks Jeanie, I will try and get his death certificate. Is there anywhere other than Scotlandspeople I can look for his certificate? I think that he died after 1953. thank you for your help Lucia

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 May 2004 23:40

Hi Take it that the Richard Mellon born in Maryhill, Glasgow in 1898 is not him? Are you definitely sure abt Inverness? Caroline

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 4 May 2004 16:04

Hi Caroline, I'm not sure its Inverness, but I'm positive that he didn't have a birth certificate. Lucia