Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census decoder question please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 May 2004 20:45

I have just been on the census decoder and managed to find a few names on there which may be living in the same house, how do I know who is in the same house now, some of the numbers for person id towards the end are the same, but not sure how to link them now can someone please help me.

Judith

Judith Report 1 May 2004 22:08

Sue, The person ID numbers don't allow sorting anymore but if you sort by page ID you will get groups who were on same page - unless it was a very common name these should be family groups. Judith

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 May 2004 22:40

Judith, I am not quite sure what you mean on this?Do the No's have to be the same on the page such a lot of numbers next to their names.

mab

mab Report 1 May 2004 22:49

Sue, ignore the 'person id' altogether, sort by 'page id', then those with exactly the same page id & surname are probably in the same household. Hope this makes sense, Marian

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 May 2004 23:03

Thanks Marian, I have just been over to check what I had and the page No's are all different, so I can take it that they are not in the same household. Thanks for your time.

Karen

Karen Report 2 May 2004 11:08

Hi Sue , did you click on the sort by page button, if you did and the page numbers are different they are not in the same house. When I search I use surname , female and area, then the same with males. This could give you 100+results, but then hit the sort button..and bingo. Hope this helps . Karen :)

Sidami

Sidami Report 2 May 2004 14:51

Karen, Yes I think I have done it by clicking ascending sort by page, they seem to be linked together with the same number Thanks for that..............

Sue

Sue Report 3 May 2004 05:31

How do you get access to Census discs and decoders etc? I'm in NZ and a newbie. Sue

Sue

Sue Report 3 May 2004 05:32

How do you get access to Census discs and decoders etc? I'm in NZ and a newbie. Sue

Crista

Crista Report 3 May 2004 06:01

Sue, Go to www.censusdecoder(.)com and download the decoder. It helps you sort the data from the 1901 census. Crista

Sue

Sue Report 3 May 2004 11:38

Thanks Crista, I'll give it a go! Sue.