Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 MM Medal - what is it? Found it - Thanks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deryn

Deryn Report 30 Apr 2004 17:41

I have a relation that was killed during WW1. It says he had the MM medal - does anyone know what this is?

LisaL

LisaL Report 30 Apr 2004 17:47

http://www(.)firstworldwar(.)com/atoz/militarymedal.htm Maybe The Military Medal Recipients of the medal, which was silver and circular of 36mm in diameter and which featured the head of the monarch on the front, were allowed to list the letters 'MM' after their name.

David

David Report 30 Apr 2004 18:13

The MM is the second highest medal awarded for extreme bravery given to NCO's and below the MC was for officiers but now the MM only is given to all ranks, you should be rightly very proud to have such a brave relative David

David

David Report 30 Apr 2004 18:15

Correction to the above the MC is now for all ranks David

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 30 Apr 2004 18:40

You should find the name and service number wround the outer edge. I've been looking for an address but can't find it. However,, if you do a search for the PRO documents online - I think you will find that the citations are availabe by searching with name and date. These citations were put in the London Gazette I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find the address Sylvie Found it www(.)gazettes-online(.)co(.)uk remove brackets