Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption Question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Apr 2004 12:10

If you were adopted what would your birth cert say? Would it give the names of your natural parents or your adoptive parents? What if the childs mother was her natural mother but the father wasn't? Could he still put his name of the birth cert? Some not so kind family member has started spreading a rumour that my Mum is adopted. She doesn't think she is and neither do I. Her birth cert has both of her parents names on it. Fortunately Mum couldn't care less if she's adopted or not. Thanks Jeanette

Seasons

Seasons Report 30 Apr 2004 12:20

When a child is adopted a new birth certificate is issued with the adoptive parents on the full certificate but sometimes the short certificate is issued sometimes with England as place of birth. However the original birth certificate in the birth name will contain the birth parents information. If the mother is married then usually her husband's name goes on the birth certificate as father of the child and I don't think there is any need then for an adoption. If your mum has her full birth certificate look at the date it was issued. If it was the same time as she was born then its highly unlikely she was adopted. To check you could look on the fiche files at the library or 1837 to see that the birth information tallies as an adopted child's wouldn't. The original birth information isn't ever changed just a new entry in the adoption register.

Seasons

Seasons Report 30 Apr 2004 13:10

Got my original birth certificate few months back from local registry office with no problem without getting special form. (think form is only for youngsters trying to find out details) Also sure I got full birth certificate in adopted name after I lost original one issued at adoption. The secrecy of an adoption was paramount that I believe their new birth certificate was exactly the same as everyone elses.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Apr 2004 13:34

Thanks for the info girls. I'll pass it on to Mum. As I said Mums not bothered one way or the other but it has upset my Grandad. And like I said to Mum, now that it's been said, surely if it was true Grandad would have owned up. Personally I think the woman (Mums cousin) spreading the rumour must have so little going on in her life that she has to go interfering in other peoples. Jeanette

Seasons

Seasons Report 30 Apr 2004 15:22

Maybe it was because I went to the local Registry office and knew the details. Think that your grand dad has to say for certain one way or the other in order that the situation can be resolved. If it is true then he may not want to hurt your mum - on the other hand he might just want a peaceful life and not cause more friction with this woman. I don't think you'll find peace until you know for certain.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Apr 2004 17:16

Hi Jeanette My reply is similar to the previous ones but hope it helps. I was adopted as a baby in 1964; my adoptive parents were issued with a new certificate when the legal process went through and although it looks like a birth certificate, it does say 'certificate of adoption' at the top. My adoptive parents are named as my legal parents and there is no mention of my birth parents, apart from the place and date of my birth. A few years ago, I obtained my original birth certificate but there is one significant thing that I don't think anyone else has mentioned - if you look along the columns to the far right hand side, the word 'adopted' has been written on (officially of course). Also, my older half-sister stayed with our birth mother and was then subsequently adopted by her new stepfather - her birth certificate has her mother's details, no father's details, but again has 'adopted' officially written on the right hand side. I hope that this might be a bit of help. Mandy x

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 30 Apr 2004 17:41

HI JEANETTE SORRY I HAVE NO INFO ABOUT ADOPTIONS BUT JUST TO SAY HOW EVIL PEOPLE CAN GET.YOUR MUM HAS GOT THE RIGHT ATTITUDE BUT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A CLOUD HANGING OVER HER UNTIL SHE FINDS OUT PROPERLY,JUST LOOK ON 1837 THAT IS PROOF ENOUGH. PERSONALLY I WOULD GET THE PROOF THAT EITHER WAY AND FACE THIS WOMAN WITH IT ON THE QUIET OR YOU COULD HAVE A QUIET WORD WITH YOUR GRANDAD.MY MUM WAS ADOPTED BACK IN 1923 BUT I AM NOT ALLOWED ANY INFO BECAUSE SHE DIED 18 YRS AGO,DONT KNOW WHO MY GRANDMA IS ONLY THAT SHE LIVED IN SHEFFIELD. MY REGARDS TO YOU AND YOUR MUM SUE

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Apr 2004 19:56

My mother was adopted by her natural father as my grandmother was still married to her first husband at the time of her birth.On her original certificate is the name of my grandmothers first husband.However,upon a formal adoption a new certificate is issued.This all sounds like sour grapes from a relative with nothing better to do than stir up trouble.You could perhaps ask someone to do a look up in the adoption indexes for you at the FRC.But at the end of the day your granddad is still your mums father even if they don't have a genetic link.(After all he was the one who was there for her when she needed him) I do hope this all turns out well for you and your Mum. Best wishes Janet

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Apr 2004 21:04

Hi Jeanette. Does your mother have 2 reference numbers on her birth certificate? the second indicates a entry in the adoptions records at the GRO, also as previously stated what is the date of the stamp on birth certificate if the entry is near the birth date, she was not adopted, most adopted birth certfictes are dated approxiamatly 6 months after the birth to allow the adoption to take place and a new entry to be made in the childs new surname, to enable a adoption certificate to be issued. Hope this helps Sheila

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Apr 2004 21:17

Thanks for all your replies. I'll get Mum to have a look at her birth cert tomorrow. To my eyes there is no doubt that her Mother is her natural mother. My sister is the spitting image of that side of the family. And as has been said, even if Grandad doesn't turn out to be Mums natural father, he was the one who was there for her. Mums going to ring the lady in question over the weekend and get to the bottom of it. Jeanette

Rus&

Rus& Report 17 May 2004 20:43

Hi all, Can anyone help us with a query, we have a copy of a birth certificate for rus's son who was put up for adoption on it, it has his NHS number,would this number have been changed when he was given a new name and birth cert? thanks kaz

Seasons

Seasons Report 17 May 2004 23:25

Have no idea really but wouldn't think it would change. I was in hospital for awhile as a baby and I remember vividly being asked by my doctor's receptionist if they had got out the right medical notes. My original name was on the top crossed out!!!!! Luckily by then I knew I'd been adopted.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 May 2004 18:06

For Rus & Kaz I have been to have a look at my own birth certificate to compare it with my adoption certificate but unfortunately I think I was born too long ago!! My birth cert (1964) didn't have an NHS number on it, so I'm sorry I can't help. I wouldn't think it would change though - I've also searched through my birth records and there isn't any reference to the number being changed. Mandy x

Sheila

Sheila Report 18 May 2004 20:29

Hi Mandy, Think this is only on fairly new birth certificates, i haven't got one on mine either 1960, but i think anyone born 70's onwards do. Have a feeling it does stay the same but not 100% sure. Regards Sheila

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 19 May 2004 07:47

Hi Jeanette Living families are a pain aren't they? Regarding adding father's name - yes this can be done at birth even if not married. And father can add his name at a later date if originally recorded as "unknown". Father's name cannot be deleted from records if entered at birth, except by courts. Best wishes to you and yours Badger Bill

Rus&

Rus& Report 19 May 2004 08:06

Hi mandy and julie, Thank you both for you messages and advice it is very appreciated. kaz and rus