Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records of Immigrants to England from Poland...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Apr 2004 12:45

Looking for records of ancestors who have come to England from Poland. Searched for ships lists, but no ships seem to have come to England - they all go to the USA! Can anyone tell me where to find, records of immigrants and ships coming to England from Poland or possibly Germany.

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 29 Apr 2004 12:48

I have the exact same problem Margaret. I don't think there are many records around. There were ships on their way to USA that dropped passengers off on the way. I think if there are any records, they will be at the PRO. Also naturalisation records are kept there Lisa xx

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 29 Apr 2004 13:07

I am assuming your ancestors were Jewish, if so, have you tried these sites, www.moving here.org.uk and the Jews temporary shelter at //chrysalis.its.uct.ac.za/shelter/shelter.htm Lisa xx

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Apr 2004 13:14

Many thanks Lisa... will have a look see if I can find anything

Bob

Bob Report 29 Apr 2004 13:26

Hi Lisa, Small spelling mistake, it should be "www.movinghere.org.uk" without the space. I imagine you wrote "proper english" ! Having said that, I liked the site ! My mother's family lived at Swiss Cottage, Finchley, so that brought back memories !! How about posting it on "Jewish Ancestry Searches" aswell, I am sure others will like it. !

Sue

Sue Report 29 Apr 2004 14:03

My friend's parents and grandparents were Polish Catholics and came to England in about 1950 via Israel and Italy, where my friend was born. I think if you are looking for immigrants just before, during and just after WW2 it is extra complicated because of the roundabout journeys they had to make. Incidentally, my friend cannot trace her Polish ancestors because most of the records were destroyed during WW2. Sue

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 29 Apr 2004 15:38

Bob Have put them on, think I got it right this time.......duh..... What am I like. I'll see if I can find some more to add Lisa xx