Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help for 1600's please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish

Trish Report 28 Apr 2004 10:27

Hi, I am trying to find the birth of a Jonathon Bowdrey. He married Dorothy Blunt 12th April 1669 in High Wycombe. Have tried the Parish Records but they were suffering from damp and unreadable for the few years that I wanted. Have also tried B.T. but no mention of him in there. Is there anywhere else I can try or have I come to a full stop?

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Apr 2004 11:11

Trish - looked on the VRI - nothing there just been looking on NBI though - not the names you are after - but there are several bowdreys -

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Apr 2004 11:34

Trish; Bishops Transcripts ? (I think thats the correct terminology).

Trish

Trish Report 28 Apr 2004 13:42

Thanks She, I did borrow NBI disks but the early one wasn't working properly so I wasn't 100% certain there. Paul, yes, you've got it - sorry laziness on my part.

Janet

Janet Report 1 May 2004 10:21

You could try the Manorial Records at the local CRO which I think is Aylesbury for Bucks? Try ringing British Library in London to see if they have any Manorial records for High Wycombe. If you have worked the family back through your local CRO you will find your people throughout the centuries in various books that they have which will lead you into their types of occupation. A marriage that early may be a Licence which may have survived? If there is no mention of him in the Bishops Transcripts how can you be sure that they married at the time you are suggesting? You willl need some knowledge of Latin for the Manorial Records. Janet

Trish

Trish Report 1 May 2004 15:25

Thanks Janet, I found his marriage but was trying to find his birth - as I said, the damp has destroyed a lot of papers. :-(( As for my Latin, it's non-existent!! If I find something perhaps hubby can wrack his memory for me. Many thanks - it's definitely worth a go.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 1 May 2004 17:08

Hi, Copies of the registers were made every year and sent to the Cathedral of the Diocese (BTs and ATs). Check with the county record office to see if they have survived. Gwynne

Trish

Trish Report 1 May 2004 19:10

Thanks Gwynneth - will do.

Janet

Janet Report 1 May 2004 19:35

Trish Sorry, I was in a hurry when I was writing previously. Yes I see you are after a birth and it looks as though looking at the marriage of 1669 you are looking for a birth about 1645-1649? These are Civil War years and there may be Civil War documents that you can look at besides Manorial Records which may help you. Many books have been written and you could ask at Bucks RO. Also there is a problem in that many marriages were not allowed in church during this time, which may have some implications for the births as well, which could be one of the reasons you have been unable to find him on the Bishops Transcripts. I was thinking marriage because I found a marriage of 1657 in Huntingdon yesterday and also looking for a birth about 1633! I still think that looking at the Manorial records would be a good idea. I know that will be my next move for my ancestor b 1633. If the original records are illegible due to water damage then you do have a problem as you do not know when they were damaged. They could have been damaged during the civil war in which case I doubt if there will be a second lot but if they were damaged recently or during world wars then there may be a second record somewhere but I would have thought that Bucks RO would have told you this when you were looking at the water damaged ones? No you have not come to full stop. I am sure there is more there at the Record Office, but in a different form. Good Luck. Janet

Trish

Trish Report 1 May 2004 19:58

Janet - and everyone else who has replied - thank you so much. Not sure when I can get to Aylesbury again (not too long if I have my way) but you have all given me something else to look for. Many, many thanks.