Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scanning and sending Documents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Apr 2004 09:55

see below

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Apr 2004 09:59

I wanted to send somebody a copy of a cert I have so I decided to scan it and send it as an attachment. When scanning I was asked whether I would like to save it as an rtf, htm or pdf file. I plumped for rtf. The email and attached document have been sent back this morning undelivered. I think the rtf file was probably too big. So what should I save it as? I also want to send a scan of a 45 page hand wriitten document. What do you do? Jeanette

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Apr 2004 12:48

Thanks Vall I wasn't given the option of a jpg file - that's what fooled me! I'll ask the person I'm sending it to if she's got Acrobat Reader. It might make life a little easier. Jeanette

Rick

Rick Report 28 Apr 2004 13:07

Hi Jeanette, Sounds like your scanning the image as text & that's why it's offering you those formats. Is there an option when you scan to do so as an image ? You should then be able to create jpg, bmp, tif files etc. Rick.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Apr 2004 13:19

Rick My hero! lol. Once agian you've saved the day. Yes I think I could have scanned it as a photo or something like that. I would then of course be able to send it as a jpg. I was thinking that because it was text I had to scan it as text. Doh! Would this work for the 45 page document aswell? Cheers mate! Jeanette

Stan

Stan Report 29 Apr 2004 01:02

Hi Jeanette Anybody with access to the internet can download an Acrobat Reader file free. So if you have a program that saves your scan as a pdf you don't really have to worry about the other person being able to read it. In contrast, not all computers will be able to read jpg or tif. Stan