Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find a death in the 1930's?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 28 Apr 2004 09:19

Can someone tell me how to find a death in the 1930's please? I need to find the death of my grandfather. I do not have a date of death, just know it's in this timespan. The last address I have for him is in 1912 in Dalston, Hackney. This is probably the area where he died as well. How do I go about finding out? Do I have to trawl through 1837 or is there an easier way? Regards, Viv.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Apr 2004 11:03

You could search for free at your nearest main library or similar that holds the GRO index on fiche. If you first looked in the electoral rolls for the places you expect to find him, you may be able to narrow down the years to search, remembering that if you found him in eg.the 1935 book, he could have died in the previous year.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 28 Apr 2004 18:08

Theresa, The only info I have is that he died. I am summising it was in this timespan as I know he was deaceased in 1940/41. His surname is quite common, TUCKER. I probably will pay to search 1837 as I am unable to narrow it down any further. With regards, Viv.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 28 Apr 2004 18:11

Gwynyth, Thanks for your advice but I cannot get to anywhere for a while and I am impatient to find him. I will have to go with 1837 I'm afraid and bankrupt myself. Thanks again, Regards from Viv.