Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lancashire Districts ..UD & USD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Apr 2004 21:19

Hi Folks, Quite a few of my certificates are including the letters UD and USD at the end of addresses ... can anyone in the Lancashire area's help me by explaining what these letters stand for ... the USD ones are from Altringham ...and the UD ones are from various places within Lancs. Thanks to anyone who can help Elaine.

Rachel

Rachel Report 25 Apr 2004 21:24

I've checked my certs from Manchester and they all have UD after the address. Maybe it's Urban District / Urban Sub District?? Just a guess. Rachel

Stan

Stan Report 26 Apr 2004 00:47

I believe they are Urban District and Urban Sanitary District respectively. The former were created as part of a local government reorganisation in the late 19th century. I think the sanitary districts preceded them, at a time when drains were first being provided. Before that, everything was Parish-based outside the Borough Council areas. Stan

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2004 08:25

Thankyou both Rachel & Stan, I will know when the next one arrives. Elaine X