Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What are the chance's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 25 Apr 2004 08:07

Hi I was wondering if i could get a few opinions if someone died out of the area they were living in do you think the burial would have taken place where they died or where they lived.Not than I can even find a death cert. after looking for 2 years just about everywhere, mainly because I am not sure of the age of the person but thought I might look at church records in the area he lived and where his widow remarried and 2 daughters were married. What do you think Please? Margaret

Abigail

Abigail Report 25 Apr 2004 08:34

I can't swear to this Margaret but if someone dies away from home I think you have to get special permission or release or something to allow transport of their body home for the funeral. Regards Abigail

Heather

Heather Report 25 Apr 2004 10:12

Hi Margaret I have found burial records of people who died elsewhere but brought back to their hometown for burial. I think it would depend upon their financial situation. The records were from the early 1800s. Heather

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Apr 2004 14:48

Margaret My gt grandfather lived virtually all his married life in Limpenhoe, a small village in Norfolk. His memorial stone gave his date of death, so I was puzzled when I couldn't find a death registered in Blofield Registration District for his date - his name was John Gray, so there were quite a lot of them. I checked with Norfolk Register Office - no record of his death. So I found that Norfolk Records Office has a plan of the churchyard at Limpenhoe and burial records. They checked for my date, found a match, but it said he died in Finchley, North london. No idea why he was there, or how his family, who weren't rich, paid to transport the coffin up to Limpenhoe for burial beside his wife.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 25 Apr 2004 16:29

Hi Helen the death I am looking for was a man who lived in Edmonton not far from Finchley, was not born there but was living with his wife and family there, I have tried the local cemeteries but they don't have a record but surley there must have been a death cert. even if he died elsewhere. I just can't imagine there was not one this was between 1889-1891 Margaret

Janice

Janice Report 25 Apr 2004 16:35

Margaret, If he died elsewhere, he might have been outside England and Wales: Scotland, for example. Janice