Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

At A Dead End!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 25 Apr 2004 01:35

Can anyone kick-start me again...I'm trying to find Monica (nee) Jenner. She was born approx 1937-1940 in the Kilburn area of London. That is all I know. Where do I go from here? I'd be grateful for some help / advice.

Irene

Irene Report 25 Apr 2004 02:54

Susan First you will need to know when she was born, if she has already died then you will find her age or her birth date on the deaths of 1837(.)com this is the scanned copy of the Indexing for births marriages and deaths for the UK. This way you won't spend to much hunting. It cost .10p to view a page and you will have to buy £5.00 of credits = 55 credits. This will last for 45 days, use them or lose them. You can save each page so you won't have to pay again to view the page. Make folders for Birth, Marriage and deaths and save it in the right one with year first surname and qtr. this way you will see what you already have looked at. They are in Alpherbetical order by qtrs and 4 qtrs per year. Once you have the birth certificate you will get both parents names (+ Mother maiden name) and where she was born. You can order on line £7.00 per certificate and can take 1-3 weeks to arrive You should then look for a marriage both names should have the same details year, qtr, district, vol no & page no. On the marriage certificate you will get their ages (or if unlucky of full age) and both fathers names and occupation. When you have found one name, (I would check the least common name it makes it easier) when you find one then make sure you have checked both names have the same details, as this will save you money in the long run. A good idea is to see if you can get any details of children you will know when to look for the marriage from the eldest back not being funny but make sure you look at least when the first child was born. So ask Aunts Uncles family friends etc for details as this will all help you. All information is useful so make a note, of date, places & names. Once you get back to 1901 you can then start to check the censuses. Good Luck any more help just ask. There is a board with a list of things to check on this site I think its the resource centre on your left as you are reading this (below the message boards). Irene