Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed please, going to London....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 24 Apr 2004 22:53

Hi, I now live in Austria and till now my research has more or less been on my pc and telphone. Well next week i`ll be going to London and thought while i`m there i could go to Kew. Can anyone tell me if this is the right place for bdm look-ups and what`s the address. I`ve often seen people on here mention Kew and wondered what exactly is there and how does it work. Any advice would be really apprectiated. Many thanks, Julie in Austria

Zoe

Zoe Report 24 Apr 2004 22:56

Julie bst place for looking up BMD is the Family Records Centre in Islington. They have them all in large books. The Public Records Ofice at Kew does have them - but they are all on microfiche and you have to take one at a time and keep walking back and forth to the cabinets which I found a lot of legwork. some of them are very hard to read as well whereas those at the FRC are a lot clearer.

Julie

Julie Report 24 Apr 2004 23:03

Thanks Zoe,do you you by any chance know the address in Islington. Julie

Zoe

Zoe Report 24 Apr 2004 23:12

Julie - it's Myddleton Street. nearest tube station is The Angel Islington and then you can get the 19, 38 or 341 bus to Rosebery Avenue (stop after Sadlers Wells). Myddleton street and Rosebery Avenue run parallel to each other but the FRC is signposted from the bus stops. In the other direction from the Angel the 19 and 38 buses also go to the West End (in case your staying out that way) and the 341 runs from Waterloo train station

Julie

Julie Report 25 Apr 2004 10:51

Many thanks Zoe for your help. Julie

Janice

Janice Report 25 Apr 2004 12:57

Julie, If you are fit, it's only a 10 minute walk from Angel to the FRC. If your relatives are from the London area, the London Metropolitan Archives is very close to the FRC. You can get drinks from the vending machines but it's cheaper and more convenient to take your own lunch. Happy hunting, Janice