Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What could this mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 24 Apr 2004 20:03

I have been trying to track down a name for my tree and have come accross something odd. On FreeBMD and the Ancestry site the GRO page number has a digit missing, so i had a look on the 1837 site to view the missing number and found it as 390, however it had been crossed out and 'See S26' was written beside it. Does anyone have any idea what it could mean? Yvette

Susanne

Susanne Report 24 Apr 2004 20:08

The one I had like that meant see Sept quarter of 1923. The birth had not been registered by the parents so when he went to get married he had to register his own birth. It should have been registered at the date you looked at but was in fact registered at the later date, Hope this makes sense. Sue

Yvette

Yvette Report 24 Apr 2004 20:23

Hi Sue Thanks for your help. I went and had a look at Sep 1926, and sure enough there was the name i was looking at again, so that must be correct. Why would someone wait 6 years to register a child though, also to make it even more odd, the mother had two other children all registered at the same time in 1926. Anyway, it looks as though this means she is not the lady i am looking for so its back to the drawing board for me!!! Thanks again Sue Regards Yvette

Judith

Judith Report 24 Apr 2004 23:30

Hi Yvette, It is possible to re register a birth if parents marry after the birth so that the father's details appear on the certificate and I wonder whether the first reference you had was to the registration when the child was born but 6 years later mum married and went along and reregistered all her children in husband's name? Judith

Yvette

Yvette Report 25 Apr 2004 10:03

Thanks Judith It sounds so obvious now, and i should have known that after a similar event in my family where a child was re-registered at the age of 18. Her name didn't change, it was just a case of the 'father' finally agreeing to have his name added!! Talk about taking a while to think it over!!!! I am so desperately trying to track down a lady born on a certain date that had her name changed that i was missing the obvious!! Thanks again Yvette