Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have a mystery to solve!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gen

Gen Report 24 Apr 2004 14:26

I have a James Hester Smith who died on 25th May 1915, killed in action! buried somewhere abroad, he is on cwgc but there are no further details for him. He had 2 children, James William Smith born 4th June 1913 and a daughter Ruth born 1914 ish. My problem is this, I can't find his birth, marriage or death, this probably due more to the common surname than anything else, 3 different branches of the family have tried to find this info out and all have failed. According to family history he changed his name from William James to James Hester but even so we can still not find any record of him, in changing his name there was a big problem with his widow getting a pension, now I am wondering if either he was adopted or one of twins. I just wonder if anyone else has any suggestions as to how to solve this huge brick wall. Gen

Lucky

Lucky Report 24 Apr 2004 14:38

Would you be able to get his army records. I was going to get one of my rellies. It was going to cost £25 If you have the info regarding his army number etc., you may be able to do that and find info that way Diane

Gen

Gen Report 24 Apr 2004 14:44

Well I could give it a go, silly part of all this is it is my ex's side of the FT but as my girls are also his, felt obliged to put his part of the tree on so they and our grandchildren know their roots, not that they are really interested. Have tried asking my father in law but he has dimentia so not much help there. Thanks for the suggestion lucky for me PRO is only about 3 miles away. Thanks for the input. Regards Gen

Rachel

Rachel Report 24 Apr 2004 14:54

If you got hold of his first childs birth cetificate that would tell you his wifes maiden name. Then you could search for the marriage soon before the childs birth under her surname. If you find her you can always double check under Smith to make sure it corresponds. Also I think after 1911 the marriage entry will show the other spouses surname. Rachel

Gen

Gen Report 24 Apr 2004 15:59

Hi Rachel, I have his wife's maiden name, I think! but there in lies another mystery, she was born Ruth Deering to a Richard and Hannah Deering, no sign of Richards wife anywhere but he has a housekeeper called Hannah Burgess who after he dies in 1893 raises Ruth who is then called Ruth Deering Burgess and Hannah, who was married to a Thomas Burgess remarries a Henry Nash who is 20 years her junior. Think I might give up altogether, it is all too complicated. Gen

Stan

Stan Report 24 Apr 2004 18:51

Hi Gen Here is the information you want: Birth of James W. Smith: Jul-Sep 1913, (mother's maiden name Burgess) Brentford 3a 252 Marriage of Ruth D Burgess: Apr-Jun 1912 (spouse's name Smith) Brentford 3a 123 - cross checking gives James H Smith marrying Burgess. I hope this helps. Regards Stan

Stan

Stan Report 24 Apr 2004 23:08

Hi Gen To add to my previous post, birth of Ruth H Smith, Jul-Sep 1914 (mother's maiden name Burgess) Brentford 3a 292. Regards Stan

Gen

Gen Report 25 Apr 2004 06:19

Hi Stan, Many thanks for that your information has helped enormously. Regards Gen