Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

English rellies, help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 23 Apr 2004 18:44

I have just discovered on my husbands side, rellies from England. Can anyone tell me the best place to start? Is there any online sites that I can pay to view etc. I need to start in South Shields, County of Durham. Any help would be great.

Brenda

Brenda Report 23 Apr 2004 18:58

start with rootsweb or the lds site both good for a start ancestry.com does give some free info as well

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 23 Apr 2004 19:04

Thanks Brenda, I'll do that.

Rachel

Rachel Report 23 Apr 2004 19:16

Eileen If you need anything looking up on the 1891 census, its available on ancestry. I've got a subscription to it if you need anything looking up. The 1881 census is on the LDS site. Parts of the 1871 census are on ancestry, but I don't think South Shields is on yet. The 1901 census is pay per view on the gov site. There's also freecen but I've no idea where they are up to!! Hope this helps Rachel

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 23 Apr 2004 19:24

Thanks Rachel, I've got somewhere to start now. Thanks for your offer of help I may take you up on that. I'll try a few sites and see how far I get. Thanks Eileen

Mary

Mary Report 23 Apr 2004 22:03

Eileen, There is Durham Records on line at www(.)durham(.)gov(.)uk/gro/search(.)nsf/search+index Mary

Sheila

Sheila Report 24 Apr 2004 10:49

Hiya, If you have aproximate dates www.1837online(.)co.uk is excellent, you pay 5 pounds for 55 credits (each page you view takes 1 credit) but it can work out expensive if you havent got a clue of the dates involved. Regards Sheila

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 24 Apr 2004 19:28

Mary and Sheila, Thanks for your ideas I've joined Ancestry and found a few things out, but guess what? Some rellies though lived in England but were born in Scotland! So back to Scots Origins for me. Thanks for everyones help.