Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

occupations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 23 Apr 2004 13:10

does any body know what a balter and a husbandsman does

Barbara

Barbara Report 23 Apr 2004 13:12

Hi laura, I think a husbandman looks after animals on a farm, sorry, don't know what a balter is, but I'm sure someone on here will know. Regards Barbara

Laura

Laura Report 23 Apr 2004 13:15

thanks barbara

Martin

Martin Report 23 Apr 2004 13:20

Laura Looked up on a site and Husbandsman is a tennant farmer. Couldn't find balter. Martin

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2004 14:36

Could it be a Baiter? Maggie

Lynne

Lynne Report 23 Apr 2004 15:01

Can anyone help with the occupation TIERBOY? I am fairly sure that is what it says. Thanks Lynne

Geoff

Geoff Report 23 Apr 2004 15:46

Could it be salter? (Bacon maker)

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 23 Apr 2004 16:48

Hi Laura, could it have been mis-transcribed and be a bailer ie someone who bales they hay? just a thought

Grahame

Grahame Report 24 Apr 2004 16:37

Dear Laura, Clould it be a BALLER? Baller / Baller Up Potter's assistant - measuring out the balls of clay. Grahame

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 25 Apr 2004 14:18

My grandad was down as a 'fat refiner' I always did have a weight problem lol Dave

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 25 Apr 2004 15:35

Just found a GGAunt in 1881 - age 62 occupation - owns a Mangler. The mind boggles, I had to chuckle. I guess it means a clothes mangle and she charged people to use it ? Sue

Richard

Richard Report 25 Apr 2004 21:11

Hi Laura, sorry to impose on your thread but I was just wondering if anybody knows a site that lists old occupations and definitions etc. I have just got a certificate back and the occupation of the male looks like minder?

Judith

Judith Report 25 Apr 2004 21:25

Richard, Try this site: http://cpcug.org/user/jlacombe/terms.html

Rachel

Rachel Report 25 Apr 2004 21:30

Scotlands people also have a glossary of occupations and general terms: http://www(.)scotlandspeople(.)gov(.)uk/index.php?area=content/site_help/site_help Rachel

Richard

Richard Report 25 Apr 2004 21:46

Thanks for that Judith, found what I was looking for and would recomend this site to anyone for help and a few chuckles at some of the occupation names. Nob Thatcher, what's that all about? Rachel thanks as well will look at yours next, have a good night' Rich