Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

could this be a virus??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 23 Apr 2004 09:10

i keep getting an email,with this email comes a red "!" i always delete emails i don't recognise, but when i look at my desk top there is a file there that i don't recognise,and i know i hav'nt put it there. there is a heading that comes with this email,but can't remember what it says. can anyone throw some light on this. thanks, chris.

Trouble

Trouble Report 23 Apr 2004 09:14

Please run your anti virus programme, that's the best bet, otherwise go to microsoft web site and search for the file name and they will tell you if it is a virus, but you really should get it deleted through your anti virus programme

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 23 Apr 2004 09:16

Hi Christine The only e-mails I ever get with the red 'i' are spam, I delete them immediately, and they are a real nuisance. I have had viruses sent by e-mail in the past, but I don't remember them carrying the red 'i' symbol. I think they add it to draw attention to the e-mail Hope this helps Lisa xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Apr 2004 09:17

The red ! means the email is of high importance, there are other symbols you can use to determine the importance of an email.

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Apr 2004 09:59

Clare is right. The red exclamation can be added by clicking on that symbol at the top of an e-mail before sending it. There is also a down arrow for low priority and a flower/umbrella type thing as a general message flag.

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 23 Apr 2004 11:16

please could someone give me advise as well!!! About 3 times now after i have been on the net when i look on my desk top there has been a box a ~ underneath has any body any idea what it could be, and i know i have not down loaded anything and also scaned them for viruses, i have deleted them bothering me what it is!!!! tracy

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 23 Apr 2004 11:29

tracy, that is what i get,a box with ~ under it! and i know i have'nt down loaded anything, so i just delete it and then empty the bin, my computer is running ok tho. chris.

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 23 Apr 2004 11:38

hi chritine once out of curiosity i tried to open it, had use net to do so but it wouldnt , just came up detct to - shell.com so clicked on that it then came up you are not authorised to open so i deleted them. i know its not a virus but it bothers you that you dont know what it is,had it 3 times now over past couple of months. tracy

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 23 Apr 2004 12:30

tracy, itried to open it with adobe 6, but it would'nt, said it was corrupt,anyway i've done a full system scan and there's no infection. i've had 2 of these emails in the last couple of days,there really annoying are,nt they!! thanks everyone for your help. chris.