Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 22 Apr 2004 20:23

My Grandad's birth certificate came today - hooray! They had previously refunded my money and someone on here said don't put the birth date you have in case it's wrong AND it was. I now know my Gt Grandad's & Granny's names and it's brilliant! Thanks for the advice..... Now I wonder what's best to do next?

Rick

Rick Report 22 Apr 2004 20:47

Hi Lorr, So when are you back to ? A lot depends on that as to what's the next step. A lot depends on when the nearest census is, whether you can find their marriage (now you know her maiden name) - if they're in the IGI/VRI or you have to go to freebmd or Ancestry for a marriage cert. Rick.

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 22 Apr 2004 21:56

Thank you Rick - It means I have my Gt Grandad & Granny's names but not much else. So a marriage cert is the next step then?

Carole

Carole Report 23 Apr 2004 15:07

Hi Lorr, Getting your great-grandparents marriage certificate will give you their fathers' names, so you can follow the line back. If their births were pre1901, searching for them on the Census records is good, as you will find the names of siblings.

Carole

Carole Report 23 Apr 2004 15:22

WOW Lorr, I've just read your other string... I am totally lost now! I thought my family was complicated, I certainly never had those problems!

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 23 Apr 2004 16:34

Hi Carole - yes I think it's going to be quite difficult because my Gt Grandad came from Barbados and married into an already 'formed part family. I think there could be trouble ahead! x