Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone visiting HULL DAILY MAIL offices?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 21 Apr 2004 10:00

Hi, Is anyone going to or able to check something in the Hull Daily Mail Archives? I've been told this is the place most likely to look! My grandfather Sidney BURKILL lived in Middleton-on-the-Wolds and was employed as a coachman/chauffeur/valet to Percy Brooksbank of Middleton Hall. They visited New York in 1924 and stayed at the Vanderbilt Hotel in Manhattan where my grandfather died of a heart attack on 13th February1924. Mr Brooksbank arranged for the body to be embalmed and shipped back to England. I understand this was unusual for the time and relatives remember that there was a newspaper article about this showing him in the coffin along with a picture of the ship but no one now has this and I would like to have a copy. He was buried at Middleton-on-the-Wolds on 26th February 1924 so I would expect the story to have appeared around this date. If anyone can suggest another paper that would have covered the story I also would be interested to know. Any help much appreciated. Rose .

Rose

Rose Report 21 Apr 2004 10:21

Thanks Tracey, I have just looked it up. They do have a library department, but charge archive search fees. I will contact them to find out how much it would cost. Many thanks. Rose

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Apr 2004 10:30

Hi Rose They don't hold papers from that long ago at the HDM offices. They're all at the records office at Hull Library. And Guess what? It's your lucky day! lol. I'll be going in the very near future so I can have a look for you. Not sure if it will be in the HDM though as middleton isn't that close by. Could be in the paper for the Pickering area. Email me with all the info you have and I'll take a look. Jeanette

Rose

Rose Report 21 Apr 2004 11:02

Thanks Jeanette, I've e-mailed you direct. Rose

Sidami

Sidami Report 21 Apr 2004 11:26

Hi Jeanette, I have emailed you but not sure if my emails are getting there. as a lot are coming back for some reason. Would you be so kind as to get me a copy of a murder that happened in Hull 14/3/36 at George St TS Kaye Ltd they were sawmakers it should read Murder of Oswald Fisher Walker also I think it is in the next week 21/3/36 it reads Oswald Fisher Walker murder still at large, I will pay for what ever it costs you to get a copy. Regards Sue and thankyou

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Apr 2004 11:32

Hi Sue Not got your email yet but leave it with me and I'll see what I can find. A murder eh? Sounds fascinating. Did you get my email? Just mailed you to say I'm goinf tomorrow and to ask if Mr Gibson had rang you yet with the plot numbers for your Motsons. Jeanette

Rose

Rose Report 22 Apr 2004 00:03

Hi Val, Thanks for this information. I put a message on Driffield online asking about the paper likely to cover the story and the only reply suggested the Hull Daily Mail. I will certainly check out the other options if Jeanette has no luck, but she did suggest a paper for the Pickering district - would that be the Malton Messenger? I did wonder if it would have been in either a Driffield or York newspaper. Again, many thanks, Rose