Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dead Loss

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Apr 2004 23:06

Went over to Hertford Record Office on Saturday determined to pin down great grandad Alfred Worboys and his dad Thomas. Found Alf in the 1851 census with dad Thomas married to Elizabeth born Yardley. And Thomas in 1861, but no Alf (who should have been about 13). And then Alf's Christening. Great, all hunky dory apart from whereabouts in 1861. Got home and checked Alf's marriage certificate in 1869. It shows father Thomas (Deceased). Looked at 1881 census and there's Thomas and wife Elizabeth born Yardley. Alive and kicking. Back to the drawing board to look for another Alf born Hertford 1847-ish. Naughty words ! Looking for bright ideas.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2004 07:34

I bet you thought you were really getting somewhere too, Brian. Would it be possible that Thomas was not actually deceased, as people on the board have mentioned did happen if there had been a family rift.? Do any of the witnesses relate to the 1881 Thomas, - what about occupations? If none of this is possible, thank goodness you checked the 1881 census before you spent alot of time (and possibly money) researching Thomas and Elizabeth's families.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 20 Apr 2004 08:05

Brian, I'm beeing nosey, what is the Hertford Record Office like? I ask as I want to look for for my relatives who were born /christened in Ware. Would I be right to assume it is located at County Hall? And lastly, any tips? Good hunting next time you go, Viv.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 20 Apr 2004 08:31

Thanks Barbara, The info is great. I will have to make the effort to get over there now, it is only 25 mins drive but haven't had a chance yet. Thanks again, Viv.

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Apr 2004 14:38

The Hertford Thomas's occupation is right (carpenter) and the location agrees with Alfred's later census entry. However, I have no reason to doubt the information on the marriage certificate, and it's 140 years to late to ask anybody. The witnesses names don't help in any way. I am thinking of sending for death certificates for likely-looking Thomases to try to prove/disprove. Thomas was on the 1851 census as just Thomas, in 1861 he is Thomas W. When looking at parish records earlier I wondered if there were two different people, one signing himself with just the first name and the other as Thomas William, but cross-checking with the 1861 census proved that they were one and the same, unless they both married an Elizabeth from Yardley, both were carpenters and had children at the same time which they gave the same names to! Lol. Thomas William had disappeared from Hertford in the 1871 census and is in London on the 1881 census. Viv: the Hertford R O is quite small, about a dozen fiche readers but half a dozen film readers (Essex at Chelmsford has about 30 fiche and 15 film). A lot of Hertford's records are on film so they book a machine out to you, so advisable to phone and book in advance. Very helpful staff, easy parking (on Saturdays at least), apparently Council days can be crowded.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 20 Apr 2004 19:32

Thanks Brian, I do hope you get to the bottom of your mystery and find them all soon. Elusive little devils aren't they? Good hunting Regards Viv.

Carole

Carole Report 21 Apr 2004 18:35

Brian, I am on the HALS website now as I'm thinking of visiting at the weekend. It is asking me what resources I want to book. Is it necessary to pre-book them? If so, what am I likely to need? I want to look for stuff from pre-1837

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 21 Apr 2004 19:27

Carole, I would be interested to know what is available pre 1837 as well as this is where I hope to be looking for g.g. grandparents and any other family in 1835. Viv.

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Apr 2004 10:20

Carole Best to ring, explain what you want to look at and book either a fiche reader, microfilm reader, or both. The normal range of parish records, IGI, censuses and GRO records are available, plus local indexes etc., although I did not look at those in detail. As mentioned, staff most helpful on phone and when you get there, but really not enough space and readers. (Spoilt at Chelmsford, purpose-built centre with ample reader and computer terminals)

Judith

Judith Report 22 Apr 2004 10:43

Brian, Would these be 'your' Worboys? On IGI: Alfred Worboys son of Thos Worboys & Sarah christened 27 Sept 1848 Hitchin, Hertfordshire National Burial Index: Thomas Worboys aged 39 26 July 1849 St Mary's Hitchin Judith

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 22 Apr 2004 12:06

Brian, If the Worboys mentioned by Judith are yours then he was christened at the parish church, St. Mary's which is in the town centre next to the river. If it is him then he may be buried in St.Mary's churchyard or in the local cemetry in St. John's Road. (can't remember offhand when that was opened)There are many local families with the surname Worboys in Hitchin and the surrounding villages and towns. Any help I can give in the Hitchin area please let me know. Viv ( a born and bred Hitchinite!)

Carole

Carole Report 22 Apr 2004 13:24

Thanks Brian. Spooky - one of the names I'm trying to track down is Warboys, could easily be Worboys, which is why I'm having trouble! Elizabeth was my gg-grandmother, married Edward Hankin, but I don't know when. One of my (other) problems is that the family lived just outside Royston, on the border between Herts & Cambs, so some of the info will be at HALS, and the rest in Cambridge... pesky ancestors...why couldn't they choose a county & stick to it? (Says she, who moved from Surrey to Kent..)

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Apr 2004 14:42

Thanks Judith, Viv & Carole, I am loathe to go for the Hitchen one, as the 1881 census in LDS clearly states Hertford, Hertford as the place of birth. Worboys and Warboys seem to be interchangeable, even as far as the 1901 census. At work at the moment so no access to other papers, but I think there were other reasons for Hitchen not fitting, as I have previously looked at him. (the Hitchen Alfred doesn't show on 1881, though). Maybe it was mis-transcribed on 1881, as I haven't seen the original? Sarah does not appear on 1881 as a widow, maybe she re-married. Alfred is my paternal ggrandfather, so until I can sort him out I'm stuck on my direct line. His daughter in law (my grandmother) is just as much of a pain. Any suggestions welcome, though.

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Apr 2004 15:07

Hi Brian, I found a marriage entry on VRI for Thomas William Worboys and Elizabeth Carter, 8/12/1841 in Hertingfordbury, Hertford. Thomas was 23 and Elizabeth 26. Thomas's father was also Thomas and Elizabeths was James Carter. Is this the right Thomas? I know it doesn't help with Alfred but just wondered if he was the right one! Tracey

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Apr 2004 15:39

Tracey Thanks for that, but he is the one I was looking at on Saturday and proved to be alive in 1881. If anyone wants details of their children I've got notes on their christenings! By the way, the maiden name of one of the librarians at Hertford is Worboys.