Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 18 Apr 2004 23:06

not for me but a friend of a mine is needing some assistance. Basically, she was busy working at the pc when she accidentally knocked the modem with her foot. Now the pc won't let her get back on to anything on her desktop. Her flatmate can sign in and access icons on the desktop but she can't. I'm awaiting further information, but was wondering if anyone had any initial suggestions. Many thanks. Andy

Andy

Andy Report 18 Apr 2004 23:17

Karen, am waiting to hear back, but that was the first thing I thought of. The fact that her flatmate can sign in and so on makes me think that it's not a simple thing to do with the cabling and such like.

Rick

Rick Report 18 Apr 2004 23:18

Andy, We It folks have a saying.... "always start at the physical layer". Means what it says - check everything's plugged in OK :-) The cause of 90% of problems. Rick.

Rick

Rick Report 18 Apr 2004 23:22

OK - typical IT folk - only read the first part of the problem & assume the rest. Missed the flatmate bit !! What messages does your friend get when trying to log on ? Rick.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Apr 2004 23:24

Andy, you say "sign in" does she need a password to get access to the pc? nothing simple like the 'caps lock', on, or off? just a thought....

Andy

Andy Report 18 Apr 2004 23:31

Bob, could be a possibility. I'm assuming they each have Win XP sign-ins. I'm keeping an eye on my inbox for a reply to a few of my initial questions.

Rick

Rick Report 19 Apr 2004 00:02

If there's one thing I know Karen, the IT bods will never be part of the IN crowd !!!!!

Bob

Bob Report 19 Apr 2004 00:10

Anoracks the lot of you Rick:)))

Rick

Rick Report 19 Apr 2004 00:16

Now Bob, you've started siding with the girlies !

Andy

Andy Report 19 Apr 2004 00:33

OK, panic over. they turned it off at the mains and rebooted and all seems to be well again. laughing that they didn't try that before emailing me!! anyway friend's dissertation has now been saved! IT people indeed, lol