Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish records??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 18 Apr 2004 18:17

Hi, Could any tell me, if you look at parish records can you find information about deaths, even if you can't find a death certificate. thanking you Margaret

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Apr 2004 18:22

I don't know about recent deaths but parish records from the 1800's certainly contained information about deaths

Judith

Judith Report 18 Apr 2004 18:23

Parish registers record details of burials. Since registration of deaths came in burials can't take place without a death certificate but its worth a look because the reason you can't find the cetificate may be a mistranscription whilst the name is correct in the burial register.Judith

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 18 Apr 2004 18:24

Hi Kathleen, so do you think that would be the case in the late 1800. Margaret

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 18 Apr 2004 18:27

Hi Judieth, I do not know why I can't find a death cert. not for the want of trying so I am going to look this week at the parish record hoping I might find something because without this death cert. I have not got a clue how old he was. Margaret

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Apr 2004 18:41

Hi Margaret, What I should have said was that parish records give information about burials and not deaths, but as burials were usually carried out within 4 or 5 days of a death in those days (sometimes sooner), you can work out an approximate date of death.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 18 Apr 2004 18:52

Hi Kathleen thank you would it have the age at death that is what I am really after Margaret

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Apr 2004 18:57

The ones I looked at last week gave the age. The older ones also said "son of John and Ann Smith" or "wife of Fred Brown".

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 18 Apr 2004 18:59

Hi Geoff thankyou Margaret