Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was Mercy really a Mary ????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 17 Apr 2004 18:48

I find quite a few of my female ancestors were bore the christian name 'Mercy'. However I have not been able to trace the recorded births of most of them. On the other hand I have found a few with the christian name of 'Mary' who seem to fit the same criteria. Were these ladies likely to be the same person or not. ?

Stan

Stan Report 17 Apr 2004 19:20

Hi John I would be very wary of making that assumption. Unless you have definitely determined that there were no females with the name Mercy born for some time either side of the expected date (and if you are going back before 1837 you need to allow many years before the baptism date for a birth date), you could easily become a victim of wishful thinking. Best wishes Stan

Debbi

Debbi Report 17 Apr 2004 21:49

It might be but I have a Elizabeth Mercy so it was definatly a name. sorry not to be of more help! Debbi

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 17 Apr 2004 22:05

Hi John Yes sometimes females were called Mercy or variations on the spelling there is one in our family tree in the 1881 census she is Mersey and in 1882 when she gets married she is called Mercia The BIVRindex has quite a number of women with the christian name Mercy Who are you looking for perhaps I can help Regards Bren

Annie

Annie Report 17 Apr 2004 22:35

I have a Mercy Baillie 1844 who was baptised a 'Mercy' Ann

Geoff

Geoff Report 17 Apr 2004 22:40

There was Mercy, Charity, Patience, Prudence, Modesty and no doubt some others.

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Apr 2004 22:41

Do you know i wondered that ,if Mercy may have been Mary I have a Mercy Dow married to Edward Feaver but cant find them cant even find her birth 1832 or their about, i have also seen the names Faith and Hope not in my family thank god

Stan

Stan Report 18 Apr 2004 01:16

Hi John Having seen Brenda's reply, I am reminded of the fact that one of my relatives, born in 1898, was called Alice Mercia. So the name, and variants of it, were not uncommon. Regards Stan

Judith

Judith Report 18 Apr 2004 08:16

Just a thought John, Names like Mercy, Charity etc were favoured by some non-conformists so baptism may not have been in parish church although I believe marriages had to be at one time. Records office may be able to tell you if non conformist records survive. Sorry if this is something you've already tried. Judith

John

John Report 18 Apr 2004 18:02

Thanks for the help. I was rather hoping Mercy would be a Mary, as it would certainly answer a few questions for me, SO ...it's back to the drawing board !! However it is odd how often wives seem to disappear after marriage, and are replaced at later census' by someone of a similar name, and birth date. Transcribers no doubt, but worth a question .