Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish records. ARGGGGGGGGHHHH!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 17 Apr 2004 14:58

Hi. Sorry about that, but I've spent 4 hours today going through parish records that I ordered from my local LDS centre and after going boss eyed I still dont feel like I've managed to get any further back - Baptism records dont have mothers maiden name on it and early marriage records dont have fathers name mentioned!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! How does anyone manage to get further back than 1837? Karen

Kevin

Kevin Report 17 Apr 2004 15:06

Know what you mean. Some of that handwriting is appalling and i thought my handwritng was bad enough

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Apr 2004 16:33

AAARRRGGGGHHH indeed! Mind you, even with post-1837 the certificates are often vague, incomplete, indecipherable or inaccurate. Hey ho! Helen

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 17 Apr 2004 16:37

Hi Karen Back to 1780's but it is slow going so be patient Ann

Irene

Irene Report 17 Apr 2004 16:41

Wait till you get to the 1700's and before, in burials you don't get ages and the only way you can tell is if they have son/daughter wife/husband of. Then there are the families they all followed with the same names. So you could have 4-6 littles ones running around with the same name and if one died then which one was he. Then you have the shorthand of the clerk or who ever fill in the books, Hy Wm etc. Some were good they did put in with the marraiges were they were from. But best of all because they didn't like to waste paper they would fill in any little space left no matter how far back they went. But Local history Societies are transcribing these, so many thanks to them. You may even be able to buy copies of the booklets. Irene