Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you know which church ..pre 1837 ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Apr 2004 21:30

I'm trying to locate a possible church that Ancestors may have married in. Having taken advice and gone to Genuk, typed in the area they lived and it threw me up 100's of churches within a 3 mile radius. I have eliminated churches that were not built at the time of marriage and made a list of possible's !! I gave up after the 23rd church. Any advice on how to pinpoint the more positives ? Have checked other rellies, no particular religian stands out! I need to know what parish records to search. Any idea's anyone ? Elaine :-)

Joan

Joan Report 17 Apr 2004 08:37

Hi Elaine, Have you tried the IGI...familysearch....does it give you any clues? Also you could try using IGI batch numbers. Put 'Hugh Wallis batch numbers' into google search. Then it won't take you long to check for marriages even in 23 churches...just click on each church in turn and put in your surname. Sorry if you know all this. .....e-mail me if it is new and I can help. Joan

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 17 Apr 2004 13:18

I have the same problem, even after 1837. All the certificates say 'parish church'. It's useless because I can't tell whether the family went to the same one, which would give me a hint when I want pre-1837 information.

Vera

Vera Report 18 Apr 2004 11:11

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#Menu This is the Hugh Wallis site mentioned above. Vera of Manchester

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Apr 2004 16:21

Thanks everyone who has replied ... I will go through and try and follow all the instructions/advice given. Thankyou. Sorry it took so long to reply, got involved with family matters :-( ( not the genealogical kind !!) Your all wonderful Elaine :-)