Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Apr 2004 22:49

Does anyone know how to view the 1891 census online abd if not where can I buy the cd from and do I need to buy a particular area or can I search by name?

Smiley

Smiley Report 15 Apr 2004 22:54

What name do you want Samantha, I'll have a look if you can tell me who, where, when etc... I hope it's not JOHN SMITH though!!

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Apr 2004 23:04

Hi Samantha Kind offer, thanks. I've got a number of names to look up: William Douglas Gordon aged about 21 musician Thomas Gordon bandmaster aged 52 Marion or Maria Gordon (wife of Thomas) aged 44 Richard Thomas Measures civil engineer 25 John Abbott builder 61 born in St John's Westminster Elizabeth Abbott 61 born Lambeth John Abbott builder father of other J Abbott (v old!) Richard Isaac Measures engineer 57 Mary measures wife of R I Measures James O'Leary carpenter (v old!) Particularly keen to find the Gordons. ANy help gratefully received Sam Butler

Janice

Janice Report 15 Apr 2004 23:30

I thought Samantha might start at the top so I've started at the bottom! The writing is appalling but here goes: Lady Mead Road, Harting, Sussex Richard Measures, head, 57 engineer from merchant contractors, employer born Thorney, Cambs Mary, wife 57 born Badbury, Wilts Frances, dau 27 born Deptford, London Annie(?) 19 born Camberwell, London William 17 b Camberwell Arthur 14 b Camberwell ?? Siscello(?) visitor 16 born France? Alice Pay, servant, 21 born Hastings Susan Freeman servant 20 born ?? Janice

Janice

Janice Report 15 Apr 2004 23:35

The other Richard is at 3 Queens Road, Beckenham, Kent Richard, head 25, employer, construction engineer and iron contractor and merchant Ellen, wife 27 Both born Camberwell Frances Saunders, servant, 19 born Borough Green, Kent Janice

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Apr 2004 23:45

Fantastic Janice! Many thanks - both correct families and the info fills some gaps. Sam Butler

Janice

Janice Report 15 Apr 2004 23:56

Found a Thomas Gordon who could be yours: Thomas Gordon age 55 married, professional singer, born Edinburgh, living as a pauper inmate at Bolton Union Wokhouse, Lancs. Janice

Samantha

Samantha Report 16 Apr 2004 00:18

Hi Janice Sorry but my Thomas Gordon was born in London Tower, Middlesex. SB

Smiley

Smiley Report 16 Apr 2004 19:41

1891 census WILLIAM GORDON age:53. Born Stockport, Cheshire. Head County - Cheshire WILLIAM GORDON age:21. Born Stockport, Cheshire. Son County - Cheshire These don't quite meet your critera but they are Father & son, the Fathers ocupation is Professional Musician The son's occupation is Printer & Photographer. Living at 64 Lower Hillgate, with William senior's wife & 3 more children Happy to email the original document if you like, email me I'll send by return.

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Apr 2004 00:15

Many thanks, Samantha. Sadly these aren't the right ones as William Gordon was born in India and Thomas was born in Westminster. Do you have 1891 census on CDrom? -if so, where can I get a copy, if not, where were you looking?? Sam Butler