Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was it legal?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 15 Apr 2004 08:00

Hi All, I have been trying to find my Grans marriage for ages. Her name was Jane Ellen Jeffery, Grandpa was Henry Aylmer. Hunting through 1837 yesterday, I came across a marriage for Harry Aylmer. O.k., I thought now just match the page number to Jane Jeffery. WRONG!! The page number corresponds to Dorothy Jeffery. I know that Gran called herself Dorothy on 1901 census (apparently she just liked the name!). As she used an "alias", does this mean the marriage wasn`t legal? I know people often used their middle names or shortened versions of their name, but to use a name that doesn`t belong at all makes me wonder. Can SKS please put my mind at rest? Thanks, Rebecca

Judith

Judith Report 15 Apr 2004 08:44

Don't worry Rebecca, I'm fairly sure that its legal to decide on a change of name and then use it even on 'official' occasions like marriage. The only problem might have arisen lots later - a friend of mine had to declare all her mother's aliases before obtaining letters of administration when mum died without making a will. Judith

Lynne

Lynne Report 15 Apr 2004 09:02

Apparently it is legal to call yourself anything you want (even officially) so long as you are not doing it for fraudulent reasons. Lynne

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 15 Apr 2004 09:58

Thanks to both of you for putting my mind at rest. Wasn`t quite sure how I`d explain that one to my Mum! Rebecca :-)