Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where to go now?????????????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 14 Apr 2004 23:52

hi, i hope one of you friendly lot can help me !! i have been looking for details on the 1901 census (using decoder) for my grandad WILLIAM BYFORD, however to no avail - all i have is a name - who he was married to ( approx) date the names & birth dates of his kids - i have tried free bmd - nothing comes up - lds - and 1901 census - where would be the next place to check?????? my nan DOROTHY ALICE PUMFREY was born in 1898 so im guessing they would be rounfd the same age (ish) if any1 can help that would be excellent details are WILLIAM GEORGE BYFORD - MARRIED DOROTHY ALICE PUMFREY (william died 1973) HAD 2 KIDS EDWARD (1939) & KEN(1945) PLEASE HELP - I HAVE NO RELATIVES TO ASK AS MY DAD - EDWARD DIED SUDDENLY THANKS

Judith

Judith Report 15 Apr 2004 00:08

Do you have any idea what part of the country he came from? There's a William G Byford aged 10 in Poplar London in the 1901 census

Smiley

Smiley Report 15 Apr 2004 00:31

Confusion has set in! Are the marriage dates in brackets correct? The 1970's? This is the only birth I could find, is this your nan, or was she definitely born in 1892? BIRTHS Dec 1898 Pumfrey Dorothy Alice - Steyning - 2b - 289 __________________________________________- These births for William George Byford. 1844 March Births BYFORD, William George - London Middlesex 2 62[06] 1876 June Births BYFORD, William George - Essex Suffolk 4a 322 1905 December Births Byford, William George - Suffolk 4a 915

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Apr 2004 08:27

hi - SORRY , i got it wrong !! the dates were of his death i have ammended the message above - sorry for all of those i sent on a wild goose chase the name was definately william but might of had a different middle name that is the right dorothy - she was born in 1898 making her 2 on the census thnx once again sam ps i know the address of where they were living (after?) they were married & when they died if that will help

Stan

Stan Report 15 Apr 2004 19:40

If you get the death certificate of William George Byford it should give his age at death. From that you should be able to find his birth certificate. This is not infallible - the person reporting his death may not have known his correct age - but it is a reasonable likelihood. I hope this helps Stan

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Apr 2004 19:54

hi thanks for the advice - i think his name might have actually been henry william byford which is why i couldnt find him anywhere still can find him on lds or bmd - have found him in the 1901 census im sure he will pop up soon! sam

Irene

Irene Report 15 Apr 2004 23:00

Hi Samantha I have found two William's who died in 1973 1st William Guy Byford Mar qtr 1973 Chelsea, birth 5.12.1905 2nd William Byford June qtr 1973 Worthing birth 19.8.1899 Does the 2nd sound right in Worthing Sussex. Irene

Irene

Irene Report 15 Apr 2004 23:22

Samantha If William who died in Worthing is the right one then this is possibly the family. The first one is on his own and not on the same page as the others. Alfred BYFORD 15 1886 Essex Brentwood Grays Thurrock Essex Lamp Lighter Annie BYFORD 2M 1901 Essex Grays Grays Thurrock Essex Arthur BYFORD 10 1891 Essex Grays Grays Thurrock Essex Edward BYFORD 38 1863 Essex Sible Hedingham Grays Thurrock Essex Malt Maker Ellen BYFORD 8 1893 Essex Grays Grays Thurrock Essex Percy BYFORD 3 1898 Essex Grays Grays Thurrock Essex Eliza BYFORD 38 1863 Essex Braintree Grays Thurrock Essex William BYFORD 1 1900 Essex Grays Grays Thurrock Essex If this is the right William then his birth is William Byford Sept qtr 1899 (district) Orsett vol 4a page 560, this is the only William in 1973 other than William Guy and I don't think that is him. Would like to hear if this is right. Good Luck Irene

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Apr 2004 23:30

i dont know know - i am sooo confused - i thought i found him - now i havent - but maybe i have - i know my dads side of the family are shy , but his is ridiculous !!! lol ill look tomorrow with fresh eyes & brain - i hope !!! thanks & take care sam

Irene

Irene Report 15 Apr 2004 23:47

Samantha Just been reading your messages of the other board, if he died in June then this looks to be the one. June qtr is April, May and June. You could get the death certificate that should give informant, ie if it was his wife or son etc. Let me know and I will send the details for you to order. By the way I found this on 1837(.)com the indexing which is in London of all the certificates The Birth I found on Freebmd, just typed in Byford 1897-1900. By the Way Thurrock is in the District of Orsett Essex. I think most of our families were quiet about their families so you are not the only one. Makes it more interesting finding them don't you think. Irene